Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

gasket change

About as clean as she'll get. The acetone hasn't helped at all.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Forgot the pic
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,866
    Looks fine to me.  The acetone is really for removing any fat/oil from cooking so the adhesive sticks better.

·
    I finally sanded it...100 grit and then wiped with the acetone. The top is done...on to the bottom. Why don't they just put this on to begin with?
    ·
    Long time in coming, but they do now.

·
    I've got nomex left over...do the ceramic top inside?
    ·
    Done...pretty easy. Might do a low burn tomorrow before I cook this weekend.
    ·
    henapple said:
    I've got nomex left over...do the ceramic top inside?
    Wouldn't hurt - I've head of those things falling off when the lid opens, might help you out there.

·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 936
    edited October 2012
    Like you the acetone didn't do diddly squat. I was a bit surprised because some of the YouTube videos make it look like the acetone easily melts away the leftover adhesive. Your sanded edge looks as good as I was able to get mine. Just my luck:I missed getting the factory installed hi temp gaskets by one month.

Just thought I'd mention I got the High Que version with the self adhesive backing and they recommended a 24 hour period before using your Egg. I am happy to say I've done about 20 high temp cooks and the gasket looks almost as good as new.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,108
    edited October 2012

I removed my gasket when my egg was still warm and it came off clean. Just a little work with the scraper. I did the acetone thing just to remove any grease or crud. I didn't need to do any sanding. Next time try it on a warm egg, it was the easiest gasket change I ever did.

I should add I did spray the adhesive on the gasket but sprayed adhesive in a cup and brushed it on the egg. It also was a lot easier and cleaner.

·
    Thanks hungry...I'll remember that. Makes sense. I did do the spray/brush method.
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    I just changed mine out too. BGE sent me a high temp one and it is so much better than the original !.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • HBmoaiHBmoai Posts: 11
    Hey kosko, I married a kosco, she was just curious where your family's from. Again, not stalking just curious
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,402
    Nice work, once you do pizza or high heat burn again that too will be gone.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
    I've built a grid extender...about 4 inches higher than the gasket.
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 259
    I scraped top and bottom with a paint scraper.   Cleaned off residual gunk with acetone, which did help - based on what was on the wipe rag.  Waited about an hour for everything to dry.  Applied the new gasket, and it has performed perfectly.  Even with a few pizza nights (650+), the new gasket looks great.
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,310
    edited November 2012
    SkinnyV said:
    Nice work, once you do pizza or high heat burn again that too will be gone.
    nah, not with the nomex. I've done many pizzas and 2 clean burns and it's fine. It's miles better than the original felt

·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    HBmoai said:
    Hey kosko, I married a kosco, she was just curious where your family's from. Again, not stalking just curious

I am from Atlanta. Did you marry a Kosko or a Kosco?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,402
    Looked like adhesive backed from factory, mine hung in there but eventually burned off too.
    Seattle, WA
    ·