Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessory ?? - Does it Make Sense to Buy Same Sized Second Egg.

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Coming from a large gas grill and a medium sized smoker I knew the Large BGE might seem small. I always figured if I needed more space I'd get a small BGE. Plus I'd have the ability to do two different kinds of cooks at different temperatures. You guys all get this I know.

I never knew I'd like my Egg so much it would totally replace the other grills. I have spent quite a bit of money on Eggcessories, more than I spent on the Large Egg itself. This got me thinking wether my getting a Small for my second Egg is really wise. I've started thinking that for not too much more money I can get a second Large. The attraction here is all of my Eggcessories already fit a large and I wouldn't end up buying the same Eggcessories in a different size. I was telling myself it might be cheaper in the long run if I don't have to buy many Eggcessories for the second large.

So how about it? Did some of you purposely get the same sized Egg the second time around and do you find you don't need a whole lot of Eggcessories for that second Egg? Leaving out nests and shelves, are there any Eggcessories you doubled up on for the same sized second Egg?  Besides the higher cost of buying a second Large vs a Small, can you think of any other reasons this might be a bad idea?

TIA
Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Sounds like a logical line of thought, Jim. I think a lot of people do get another large for that very reason. If you are never planning on taking an egg with you anywhere you go, that might just be the way to go.

I got a mini, cuz a lot of our cooks are small (just the two of us) and I'm planning on taking it to the ranch and other places.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Gilabert
    Options

I have this same dilemma, my only regret is not getting the XL but oh well. Since I bought so many accessories I think I am just going to buy another Large.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Started with a Small and then got a Large to  go with it. Added a Mini and found for the two of use using the MIni 80% of the time. SOld the Small and added a second Mini to go with the Large/Mini combo. This just works for me.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I started w an XL, got a mini, then added a large.  The size advantage of an XL is nice but with a CGW Sing Rack (I have that and love it) or the woo and CGS accessories (I don't have them) seem like you can make up the difference.  Sounds like you're barking up the right tree Jim.  You need more volume to keep our mouths watering on the forum
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Makes sense to me I have an XL my second will most likely be a small next summer as I want something I can move around easily...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012
    Options

Haven't discovered the need to double up on any accessory.

As Griffin stated, a smaller egg is nice for portability.

My newer large is delegated for pizzas and bread (baking), and the older egg takes care of the bbq and grilling for the greasier cooks. 

Small egg necessities would include a woo, 12" pizza stone, drip pan, and wok. Not really that bad in comparison to the large.  Added a round Griswold 12" griddle with bail that gets used the most.  

After adding the small to the family, it is the workhorse.  But I cook for 2-3 often.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i have 2 larges and a small, the 2 larges are a hundred miles apart but when i have a big cook i get them together. i thought i would use the small more but i almost never use it, even camping i bring a large with me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I would 100% get another large. Like @Griffin said if you aren't planning on traveling with 2nd egg there really is not a reason to get anything but a large. Two larges is such an ideal combo in my mind. From an economical perspective its def the most logical.
    Boom
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far.

I intentionally avoided the XL because I knew the Large was big enough for my needs about 90-95 percent of the time and an XL still didn't solve the problem of cooks at different temps. This is not a knock against the XL. I just knew I'd need a second Egg at some point even if I got an XL, so a Large would be big enough for my day to day needs. 

But I am curious if those of you who have identical twin Eggs find you really don't need to double up on the Eggcessories. 

Jim
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    get another large and maybe a small later
  • Focker
    Options

In all honesty, I would take a large/small over an XL.

Two cookers = two different cooking temperatures.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• jfm0830
    Options
    Yes zero need for portability. Plus I never ruled out getting a third Egg  :>
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    not so much double up but have options that work in either egg that can be swapped, i have an adjustable rig and a raised grid with firebricks, with that i can raise the grid in either, cook raised grid direct and inderect etc and dont even have a need for a platesetter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I bought a small after my large for portability. I can't imagine not cooking on the road. The small is the max I can handle for frequent transport.
    Flint, Michigan
  • gabriegger
    Options

Even though it is just the missus and I at the ranch, we went with a second large to save on eggcessories.  Working out just as planned.  Seems though, all the parties are here.  "I don't get around much anymore..."

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Focker
    edited October 2012
    Options

I've got the platesetter and Adjustable Rig + Spider from The Ceramic Grill Store.  Came in handy the other day for a large pulled beef cook.  The platesetter stays in the baker egg.

Like fishlessman, firebricks are nice to have on hand for different setups...cheap too.  I did the firebrick Weber grid raised direct/indirect for a while, but it was a PITA with unstable bricks on end.  Cut into thirds, bricks seemed to work better.  Have even ripped a few in half for various uses.

Wrapped in foil and placed on the meat, they are great at searing.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Having a second egg IMHO is a bonus, no matter what size. If you are not thinking about moving these eggs around, i.e. taking them camping, tailgating etc. Then go for it.
    I echo Freds' comment about portability. I have a large and small, small comes with us when we travel.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

I got an XL first and the sharing of eggsessories was a big reason I got an XL for my second egg. A large would have ended up costing just as much as another XL due to doubling up on the eggsessories in different sizes.  To me, the XL is far more versatile in the cooking I do.  I could have easily lived with one XL since you have enough grate area to do direct, indirect, and raised grid all at the same time.  I cook on one or more eggs every night and I wanted to keep my lump start, food prep, eat, and cleanup time to under 2 hours per night.  No matter what meal combination I prepare, I can hit my 2 hour time frame with the 2 eggs.  This also allows me to do low and slow at the same time I'm grilling a regular meal for dinner.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I started with 2 Large BGE's in my back yard.  Keeping one for high temp cooks eliminates the gasket problems as well. The sharing of accessories is an important factor that you already have realized.   I think it is a sound move.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Something to think about because this is my dilema. If you want to add another egg to increase volume then you'll have to still get the same accessories for the new egg. In my case for example, I love smoking ribs and want the ability to do more than my Large can handle. If I get another Large I need to run two eggs with the same setup. If I get a XL, Ill have to get the accessories for doing a big rib cook. Either way Im stuck getting accessories. So I guess it really depends on your cooking. If your always doing multiple dishes at once then 2 Larges with one set of accessories is fine. But increasing volume or doing two cooks with the same setup will lead you to more accessories. 

Just my two cents. Needless to say, I want a XL really bad.
  • Gilabert
    Options
    @ BamaEGG couldn't have said it better myself. I really want an XL but then you'll have to buy the accessories as well so something to think about. 
  • Focker
    Options

@BamaEGG,

Probably get blasted for this, but if all you need is added real estate for BBQ, you could save a pantload of money and for $300 plus about $25 worth of modifications get a WSM. 

This is the little 18".  They now have a beastly 22".   

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Focker said:

@BamaEGG,

Probably get blasted for this, but if all you need is added real estate for BBQ, you could save a pantload of money and for $300 plus about $25 worth of modifications get a WSM. 

You're right, I'm a comin' out blastin'!  WSM & the Weber Kettle do not cook like the Egg.  If using the WSM or the kettle was as good as an Egg, there wouldn't be this forum with us Eggheads spending WAY too much money in search of BBQ Nirvana.  The Egg gets all of us closer to that than any other rig.  I'm not sayin' WSM or the kettle are bad, just that the Egg is better.  More costly for sure, but worth it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Options
    The WSM is a damn fine smoker.
  • Focker
    edited October 2012
    Options

Take the high road....take the high road....take the high AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To each his own Fred.  The World's Best Smoker it is not.

How bout them Tigers?!

j/k man

>:)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Focker said:

@BamaEGG,

Im sure the WSM is a fine capable cooker and what you say makes sense from a money standpoint, but Im afraid there's just too much Egghead in me.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    It makes sense to me!  Of course, I already have two large Eggs so of COURSE I'm going to agree with you.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm not touching this one ;)
    Options
    I have s large, small and a mini and have never regretted having three different sizes. Like others stated earlier I use the mini the majority of the time as there's only the two of us.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

@Focker: I would not be conceited enough to proclaim with authority that the Egg is the best smoker in the world.  It is, IMO better than the WSM.  Like I said, I don't think Weber has a bad product or products, but I think the Egg is better.  I have a little experience with the kettle and what makes the Egg better is the insulating qualities of the ceramics.  With a thin metal rig like the WSM or the kettle, the large amounts of fuel it burns to replace the heat lost tends to dry out the meat. 

About the Tigers, yeah, they got swept.  How did your team do?  Started their off season sooner than the Tigers, eh?  Heh, Heh, Heh!  GO TIGERS!

Flint, Michigan