Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Board Sauce!

Just tried a new thing for me.  Cooked a big strip of beef (think it was labeled london broil, on sale, whatever) using reverse sear.  None of this is important.  The fun part was throwing some herbs and oil on the cutting board before slicing.  I'll have to use fresh herbs next time, but it was awesome. For the record, I'm in a constant battle with SWMBO between my med-rare and her well done.  Med-well is the best I can get her to go so far, but I'm working on it.
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 13,266
    Looks great...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,715
    Oh wow. Great idea.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    That was one of the best tips that I learned from Adam Perry Lang's books. Its adaptable to whatever you like. I also like the herb basting brush idea but only in the summer when I have plenty growing. To expensive in the winter!
    ·
  • killer!

What were the herbs of choice?
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,614
    That looks great- thanks for the tip! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    Great idea @brewbq . I wouldn't worry so much about how she likes her steaks done. Just cook it the way that makes her happy and make sure yours is to your liking. Happy wife, happy life and all that stuff. ;)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,641
    edited October 2012

APL's Serious Barbecue is the best grilling/smoking book out there.

In his new book, Charred and Scruffed he takes a baseball bat to a rib roast, and uses a dehydrator to make flavored salts.  He even microplanes lump charcoal in one of the salt recipes.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=adam+perry+lang&tnr=21&vid=&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DU.4821333478342697%26pid%3D15.1&tit=Adam+Perry+Lang+and+the+Perfect+Prime+Rib

Adding zest or crushed roasted garlic changes it up a bit. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,311
    @brewbq, reverse sear is one of the best things, if not the best thing I've learned on this forum. Using a low, gentle, indirect heat to get the meat up to an internal of at least 120 allows the rub to somehow enrich the flavor without burning or charring, it does taste different. 
    What you have shared is the next step, after the sear, add another flavor layer without direct heat and you've added it to the now fully flavored meat hot off the grill. 

If you use a "paste" rub, save a little to act as the start of the "board sauce". Great cook, thanks for sharing.  
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • brewbqbrewbq Posts: 52
    I'm loving that most of the replies knew exactly where this came from.  It isn't coincidence that if you look at Oprah's recipe for pulled pork, it comes from Adam Perry Lang.  Dude is, dare I say, Serious about barbecue.

@LateToTheGame I just grabbed stuff from the wife's spice rack, but I think it was mostly rosemary, parsley and oregano.  It was good, but I'll definitely try this again with fresh herbs next.  And a better cut of meat.

@Griffen For sure, though when I cook big steaks like this that get cut and served as a platter, that gets difficult.  Its a work in process, she'll get there.
    ·
    @skiddymarker I like the idea of using a paste first and last.  Will try this.
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    edited October 2012
    @brewbq looks really good and nice idea with the board , and you could always do what i did . my mother always had her steak well done she came to dinner one time pointed her finger at me on a night we had filets saying i want mine well done . well she got it well done tough as nails while everyone else was cutting with a butter knife she was hacksawing away lol . now its always medium  :))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
    @bigphil yeah she "knows" she should know better, but she's stubborn.  Did I mention we've been married 11 years?
    ·
  • brewbq said:
    @bigphil yeah she "knows" she should know better, but she's stubborn.  Did I mention we've been married 11 years?
    After 41 years SWMBO still nukes her prime rib - to finish cooking it, I just gave up - to each his own. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,504
    brewbq said:
    After 41 years SWMBO still nukes her prime rib - to finish cooking it, I just gave up - to each his own. 
    I used to groan when I got MW PR orders.  Put some au jus in a baking pan on a burner and you can cook up a MR PR to MW pretty quick. There's only 15-20 degrees diff between the two, and the au jus cooks it evenly.  Flip it now and then.

·
    So for those who like Adam Lang, which cookbooks do you suggest starting with? I just picked up the free kindle trial for BBQ 25 to see what I think.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,641

Look into Serious Barbecue. Don't have BBQ 25, but haven't heard anything negative about it.  It consists of 25 "quick cooks", with minimal time in preparation and execution.  The book is designed to be grillside, constructed of heavy duty material able to withstand rub, sauce, oil, etc. and clean easily.

I believe, by your egging talents, you would be most fulfilled with Serious Barbecue.  You can take a look around on his website here.

http://www.adamperrylang.com/

Brandon
    Quad Cities

·

Thanks @Focker

Richardson, Texas

·
  • Sorry to be dense, but what is a SWMBO?
    LBGE
    ·
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

·
  • Griff - I have BBQ25 and it is a good quick reference and I like it a lot. 

But Serious Barbecue is more in depth and along what you would really want.
    ·
  • This was cooked to 150* @ 200*. That is before the rest. Had to fry a couple of slices for the queen. Lot of it is in the mindset.

DSC_0008-2

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I just looked at Serious BBQ on Amazon and it must be a great book, they are asking $348.00 for it.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,245
    edited November 2012
    I just looked at Serious BBQ on Amazon and it must be a great book, they are asking $348.00 for it.
    i had to look for myself, i love books and all (got one leveling my coffee table right now).  all joking aside you are in fact correct i would definitely want to touch, scan, and take that one on a few dates before buying

and it says it is a bargain book
    ·

This was cooked to 150* @ 200*. That is before the rest. Had to fry a couple of slices for the queen. Lot of it is in the mindset.

DSC_0008-2

That looks like it was only overcooked to 140.  Unless you Photoshopped it.   Either way, that's why I like to cook PR slooow and low.  Notice the done-ness is even edge to center.  Good job ya woodchipper-running, hocky-lovin' canadian grill-meister.

·
    That is good looking meat.  I just ate, and now I'm hungry again.  Thanks Lil steve.  :((
    ·