Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody ever see one of these?

Options
An old kamado that my neighbor gave me a few months back. It was in bad shape but still had a decent outer shell so I "eggcessorized" it at my local BGE store and it works great. Anybody have any history on these things. My research says they were brought back from Japan by our service men in the 1950's. My large BGE is still my favorite though...image

Comments

• micheggin
    Options
    Sorry it's sideways...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    See them around here as several brought back.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's some awesome velcro on your wall!

I'm no expert, but it looks like a '74-ish fire-clay big green egg. 

Either way, don't do a clean burn and you'll be fine.  Oh, and no pizzas over 450.  Can't beat free.
    Options
    Right, Nola. My father got his first Kamado in 1968 or so. It had a clay top and a clay stopper in the vent area. You carefully adjusted the angles for the air flow. No metal.   
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia