Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Goodbye fire starters & oil napkins

2»

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 5,491
    tjv said:

The bottles last forever....

Only real issue is once in a great while little spiders make a home in the nozzle.  Not sure how, but they mess with the ignitor.  Quick spider eviction and clean up and you're ready to go again.   t
    Thanks Tom!

• I thought about the MAPPw torch but they are expensive. I am going to use the coffee can trick with the oil soaked towels that someone posted the other week.

Another option for those who burn lots of candles is as follows. Place dryer lint in a cardboard egg carton. When your candles won't light anymore, melt the wax over the dryer lint. Let it harden back up. When you are ready to light your fire, tear off a cup from the egg carton. Instant fire starter.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,019
    @cortguitarman - all my clothes are 1970's polyester...bell bottoms and austin powers flowery polyester suits.  Basically out-of-fashion retro.  Any problem making starters out of plastic lint?

• GirlyEggGirlyEgg Posts: 622
    I'm afraid of fire and I love this thing! I got mine on Amazon and ought the tank at Ace.. I like a slower start to my burns and I can Interpol the fire better if I start with the Benz!
  • brycosbrycos Posts: 133
    Ellis said:
    JeffM you need the High Q grate for the newspaper to work, for the XL you can use the fire grate from the 22 in. webber grill.
    You're right about the HQ grate or something similiar.  Thanks for adding that.
  • StargazeStargaze Posts: 68
    edited October 2012

@Stargaze, can you explain this "roof" concept a little bit more?  I want my grill up going as fast as possible with the cubes.

Stargaze said:
    I may get the looftlighter at some point but the Weber cubes are pretty cheap and it's so darn easy to put one in the middle of the coal...light it and give it a coal "roof" and it's good to go in a matter of minutes.

So what I do is get the coal that's sitting there from my last burn, kinda kick the coals around to clear out the old ash.  Then I clear out the middle so I can put the weber cube there.  So you have the cube surrounded by the old coal [or put new coal around it if you don't have left over coal].

I light the cube and then start stacking larger pieces [forming a roof over the cube] so that they're not suffocating the cube.  So I just start this and then do my prep work while the egg is getting heating up.  

If you really want speed, a torch or looftlighter may be the better option...I'm just not in a hurry ;)
  • jbates67jbates67 Posts: 157
    Used a benzomatic for a long time until I get an electric coil starter for a present. Drop it in and 5 minutes later the coals are glowing.
  • @cortguitarman - all my clothes are 1970's polyester...bell bottoms and austin powers flowery polyester suits.  Basically out-of-fashion retro.  Any problem making starters out of plastic lint?

Absolutely no problem. It all burns. All of the chemicals will burn off long before the egg gets to temp. Just to be safe, break open a mercury thermometer and roll the beads around while you wait.
    Mark Annville, PA
    @cortguitarman - all my clothes are 1970's polyester...bell bottoms and austin powers flowery polyester suits.  Basically out-of-fashion retro.  Any problem making starters out of plastic lint?
    Absolutely no problem. It all burns. All of the chemicals will burn off long before the egg gets to temp. Just to be safe, break open a mercury thermometer and roll the beads around while you wait.
    That's a relief ;).  I eat so much tuna, I was thinking about taking a second job as a thermometer.

• leaf blower kind of work but it is kind of messy and my wife is not a fan...

fire_starting_IMG_0737.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 3M

Melhill3 said:
    leaf blower kind of work but it is kind of messy and my wife is not a fan...

That's the most beautiful picture I've seen on here in a long time :)

• Melhill3Melhill3 Posts: 28
    edited November 2012
    only my second post here but I shoot a lot of food here's my firs low and slow pork on the BGE

pulled_pork__0651.jpg
    800 x 588 - 499K
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 5,491
    Melhill3 said:

only my second post here but I shoot a lot of food here's my firs low and slow pork on the BGE

Welcome aboard! Tell me more about your pulled pork please. At what stage was this pic taken and what temp did it finish at?

• This was 4 hours in ( just before it stalled). I wrapped it at. 5 hours and it went to 193 deg. The. Sat in a cooler wrapped in towels for a few hours where it cooled done to 170