Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Finally Done - Reclaimed Pecky Sinker Cypress Table

More pictures to come, but I just installed the doors and granite tonight.  The egg will hopefully go into the table this weekend.  Already planning my first cook with the new table....probably ribs followed by a brisket.

Geaux Tigers!! 

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,265
    Beautiful job, man.  Seriously. 

What did you use to fill in all the pecky cavities?

·
  • Thanks....it was a LOT of work.  I didn't fill in the cavities.  Just left them natural.  I applied five coats of Old Masters marine spar varnish. 
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Beautiful table, Great job

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • cspearce2cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Very nice. Great job!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
    ·
  • Thanks guys. 
    ·
    Yeah, I know...it's a lot of work to make something like that.  I finish a project, then stupidly start another, even more complicated one.  I'll never learn.  But you just don't get exactly what you want unless you work for it.

·
  • rabdoggrabdogg Posts: 43
    Geaux Tigers! Great job!!
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,272
    Another lefty?

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,433
    Man, that's nice.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    She's a beaut, Clark!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • tgklemantgkleman Posts: 206
    Makes me want to build a new table.  Well done!
    ·
  • Beautiful table. Great work. and ROLL TIDE!!!
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
    ·
  • brycosbrycos Posts: 137
    Purdy!
    ·
    @RajunCajun Did you use a raised panel door router bit kit to mill the cabinet doors?  I have one that I used for some bookshelves and I wish I had read the max RPM warning....

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,845
    Thats a nice table.
    ·
  • Beautiful table. Great work. and ROLL TIDE!!!

Thanks....hopefully we see a good game.
    ·
  • @RajunCajun Did you use a raised panel door router bit kit to mill the cabinet doors?  I have one that I used for some bookshelves and I wish I had read the max RPM warning....

Yes I did use a raised panel bit kit for the doors.  If I were to tell you how much I spent on tools for this project I would surely get a chuckle out of you.  I bought the kit from Somerfeld Tools.  When turning such large bits you really have to slow the rpm speed way down.  I made my first "setup" door and those in the picture are the following three doors I have ever made.  I am pleased with the project.  I ordered an LED flashlight and flexible mic stand.  I also have some LED rope lighting integrated into the table.  Adds a nice effect.  I will post more pictures once I get everything put together.
    ·
    edited October 2012
    Dude, I totally wouldn't laugh at how much you spent on tools.  I've spent a small fortune myself.  They get lots of use, so no regrets.  Yeah, I ran that 6" raised panel bit at full speed.  Sounded like my router table was a jet engine.  Ran a ton of boards threw it and it didn't disintegrate.  Later I read the warning on max RPM ;) 

Made two 8.5' bookshelves using the bit set.

Sorry it's sideways.
    bookshelf.jpg 761.3K

·
  • Dude, I totally wouldn't laugh at how much you spent on tools.  I've spent a small fortune myself.  They get lots of use, so no regrets.  Yeah, I ran that 6" raised panel bit at full speed.  Sounded like my router table was a jet engine.  Ran a ton of boards threw it and it didn't disintegrate.  Later I read the warning on max RPM ;) 

Made two 8.5' bookshelves using the bit set.

Sorry it's sideways.
    Very nice!  I love that pecky cypress look.  My fear with my tools is the same as my boat.  If I die my wife will sell them for what I told her I paid for them thinking she is getting a good deal....haha.  Where do you pick up most of your reclaimed cypress?

·
    @RajunCajun - I bought a huge trailerload from a guy I found on craigslist.  That was mostly all pecky.  I have a few friends that are contractors, they'll dump off cypress in my driveway.  A buddy of mine bought an old hardware store and he gave me a couple of trailer loads of cypress - mostly ship lap, but some beams and a huge pile of redwood.  SWMBO isn't very happy about the lumber piles, but I do make some nice furniture for the house, so she doesn't complain too much :D

·
  • Dismantled the egg yesterday and if the rain ceases today I will install the BGE into the new table.
    Table 2.jpg 566.3K
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    edited November 2012
    I have expensive furniture that's not nearly as nice as that table.  Great work.  Cant wait to see pictures with the egg installed and the lighting in place.
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • Thanks dweebsOr.  I debated long and hard over my wood choice and finally settled on a popular choice for rustic/antique pieces in this neck of the woods.  Like Nola, I love my egg and loved every minute of the labor that went into my table.  Knobs are on order as well as a flexible mic stand and LED flashlight from dealextreme.com.  I think it was nola that suggested the flexible mic stand.  Great idea!!
    ·
    Can't wait to see it with the egg.  Yep, I loved building mine and I have microphone goosenecks everywhere.  Damn rain....my table is soaking wet right now, didn't cover it after cooking last night and it's raining non-stop.

·
  • It's been about 18 months since I wrapped up this project and I enjoy every minute I spend with my egg and my table....and my favorite cocktail.

egg.jpg 2.1M
    ·
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214

What an awesome setup, @RajunCajun.  One of, if not the, best I've seen.  Fantastic job.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

·
  • Thanks, TEggSun.  I like it....it's very functional.  I had my old factory BGE cypress table for ~10years prior, so I kinda knew what I wanted.

·
  • Sweet!
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
    ·
  • Thanks.  Nice green heads you have there.
    ·
  • tkleagertkleager Posts: 533
    BEAUTIFUL!  All I can say...
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
    ·