Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15lb Prime Rib -pics

Pics form our last PR cook, a big 15lb slab of beef this time around.

Here it going into the direct sear stage...

imageimageimage

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice...did a 5lb yesterday...15lb..$
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Good job Smitty!  Do you normally do it without the bones?  Sear first or last?
  • I do prefer boneless.  I feel the reverse sear gets me the crusty char for a nice contrast of flavor on the finished product..

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    That looks awesome!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited October 2012
    I love the uniform level of doneness you get with the reverse seat! It tasted as good as it looks!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice smoke ring!  Looks a little on the medium side.  What was your final temp?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Very nice indeed!! I can't wait to do a PR on the Egg. Your pictures have told me it will be no later than Christmas dinner. That bad boy looks ever so moist. When I've done PR on my smoker I used to do it indirect at 225, pull it at 120 IT and sear it for 8 minutes in a 500 degree oven. What is a quick summary of how you cooked this? Trying to figure out how you switch from indirect heat to high heat direct on the Egg. TIA.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited October 2012

We went indirect at 340 until ITemp reached 120 (we drifted past and went 128).  Take meat out and lightly foil, remove platesetter and take off dual function metal top while opening up bottom vent and it soars to 600 in about 30 seconds.   Once stablelized at 600 (top back on), start the searing process, turning every 30/60 seconds (there will be FIRE) until uniform charing is accomplished.    Let rest.  Along with some creamy horseradish and aux jus...good times.

Total cook time was under 2 hours for this large slab of beef.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Thanks.The part I was worried about was the transition from indirect to direct and how long that took. It seemed a bit cumbersome, but a minute or so to hit 600 isn't bad at all. 

Your pictures certainly show the "...(there will be fire} part. Looks like I may need to get new gloves that are heat and fireproof. One more question if I may: When searing for 30/60 seconds I am ASSuming you put the lid back down?

Thanks again.
    Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    This is one of my favourite cooks.  I love PR on the BGE.  Very nice job!
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    I need a towel to wipe up the drool. That looks fantastic, love the smoke ring.

• jfm0830 said:
    Thanks.The part I was worried about was the transition from indirect to direct and how long that took. It seemed a bit cumbersome, but a minute or so to hit 600 isn't bad at all. 

Your pictures certainly show the "...(there will be fire} part. Looks like I may need to get new gloves that are heat and fireproof. One more question if I may: When searing for 30/60 seconds I am ASSuming you put the lid back down?

Thanks again.
    Jim

Hello Jim,

Handling the red hot platesetter is the hardest thing about switching from indirest to direct cooking on the fly.   Get good gloves and be quick about where you are going with this hot ceramic platesetter.  I suggest you pick it up and go straight to the ground laying it flat, it will cool off in 5/10 minutes to handle better.

Searing is with the top down, flames only look bad as they are captured in this pic at their height.  I used food gloves that can handle some heat but never felt heat as the fire merely looks worse than it feels actually.  Be quick with you actions and shut the Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Wow!  That is a beauty.  Great job and thanks for the info.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't want to scare anyone, and this might have just been a defective casting, but I pulled my 500 F hot plate setter out and put it on the concrete driveway.  I was doing no-knead bread in a DO.  When I looked at it about 15 minutes later, it was broken in two.  BGE replaced it, no questions asked, but I've been avoiding pulling it out for an ambient cool-down when it's over 450 or so because of the experience. 
    I don't want to scare anyone, and this might have just been a defective casting, but I pulled my 500 F hot plate setter out and put it on the concrete driveway.  I was doing no-knead bread in a DO.  When I looked at it about 15 minutes later, it was broken in two.  BGE replaced it, no questions asked, but I've been avoiding pulling it out for an ambient cool-down when it's over 450 or so because of the experience. 
    I have had that happen to me once, with a loaner platesetter. I learned my lesson not to leave on cold cement it will crack. Last time I took it out I laid it a stainles steel shelf, with good results. I also like the table that was posted recently with the metal bars that fold down and he can rest his platesetter on the side of his table.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• In this cook, you will be removing your platesetter at 325/250 degrees roughly.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I meant 325/350

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA