Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

No Fry / Fried Chicken

RACRAC Posts: 1,573

This is my 1st post and just wanted to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. I have learned so much just looking at all the posts. I picked up my LBGE the first part of September and put it to use right away. I think I have cooked all but one meal on it. My wife came home yesterday and told me I have a problem / obsession with the egg but she doesn’t mind too much she loves the food cooked on it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Anyway here is my cook from last night. No fry fried chicken. Man was this good. This is how I did it.

Package of Louisiana Chicken Fry mix

Chicken Legs

Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom

Dusted legs with the Swamp Venom

Mix 5 Tbsp. of Chicken Fry in ½ cup of water. Dip chicken in batter.

Roll chicken in dry Chicken Fry until coated.

Cook indirect at 450 for about 45 minutes or about 185 internal. I did turn them about ½ into the cook.

If you like fried chicken like I do, I think you will enjoy these.

Spring TX

Hope the pictures attach.

Boerne, TX

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,959
    Looks good..great idea
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,567
    Very cool.  Sort of like Shake n Bake for the egg!  Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing the recipe. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cspearce2cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Very nice. Welcome to the club!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,971
    Nice looking meal.   I like to take the chicken pieces and layer them between paper towels to dry the bird and place in frig over night if time allows and then do a shake 'n bake like you . The dry meat tends to get crispy around 375-400 indirect for 45 minutes or so.
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,573

Thanks for the comments. Yes this is very crispy. I cooked about twice as much but by the time I got the camera that's all that was left.

I forgot to add that I let it sit for 30 minute after the batter/mix is on. Not sure how to or if you can edit a post.

Boerne, TX

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,971
    Next time you want to edit a post look in the right hand corner for a gear wheel, click on it. You have 60 minutes from the original post to edit.It will tell you the time remaining.
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 432
    Looks great.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • LoggerLogger Posts: 236
    edited October 2012
    I'm gonna try this one.  Thanks for posting.
    And, thanks Richard for that tip on editing.
    OKC area  XL - Medium
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,573
    Thanks Richard Fl for the tip on editing. That will help next time.

Boerne, TX

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,451
    Welcome.  Great idea.  I'll try this one for sure.
    It's not a science, it's an art. And it's flawed.
    - Camp Hill, PA