Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stall dry out??

Options
Did a butt last night. When I pulled it it was great tender and tasty. Was not dry but would have liked it to be a little moister. I stayed between 167 and 178 for around 4-5 hours.

Did I dry out in the stall? Didn't think that was too long to be there. Grate temp was 240ish. I foiled it for an hour on the egg the last hour cause I couldn't get it to 190's.

This was different from my butt last week. I trucked thru a 2-3 hour stall and hit 198 and FTC. Juicy and perfect. Same grate temps same size butts both bone in.

XLBGE 

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What temp did you pull it at?  May have been undercooked????
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    They are different pieces of meat and it could have just been that.  If you have that happen again spray apple juice on it while you are pulling it.  Mix in a little rub with it and it will replace some of the moisture.
  • SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    Options
    I did my first butt yesterday. Used a method seen in this forum. Strained some Italian dressing and injected the liquid. Used the stuff strained out in the rub. Cooked at dome temp of 250 until internal temp stalled at 165 for a while. Kicked up the dome temp to just under 300. Couple more hours and it was done. 11 hours in total. Let it rest in the cooler for 2 hours. Came out very moist and tasty. Best pulled pork I've ever had.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

What temp did you pull it at?  May have been undercooked????

Around 195. I was thinking this first but parts were pretty dry.
    Duganboy said:

They are different pieces of meat and it could have just been that.  If you have that happen again spray apple juice on it while you are pulling it.  Mix in a little rub with it and it will replace some of the moisture.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be in my next butts recipe. Some type if misting or something.
    SigP said:

I did my first butt yesterday. Used a method seen in this forum. Strained some Italian dressing and injected the liquid. Used the stuff strained out in the rub. Cooked at dome temp of 250 until internal temp stalled at 165 for a while. Kicked up the dome temp to just under 300. Couple more hours and it was done. 11 hours in total. Let it rest in the cooler for 2 hours. Came out very moist and tasty. Best pulled pork I've ever had.

One of eggin buddies does the Italian dressing. I'm not that crazy bout the dressing. He swears by it.

XLBGE