Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip big success tonight

Options
My adult sons were grabbing this off the cutting board so fast I was worried about cutting a finger off. To make this I committed a sacrilege and seared it on my gas grill for about 8 minutes while heating up the egg to 400 degrees with oak chips for smoke. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 135 (3.4 # roast). Total time on the cook was about 40 minutes. The thin sliced stuff in the middle will make great sandwiches for work this week.
LBGE - July 2012
Valencia, CA

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Glad your boys loved it and very surprised you had left overs. lol  Were you in a time crunch?  Just curious why you didn't cook it all on the egg.  Did the oak come through on the meat still?  The tip on the right almost looks too rare for me but that's just when I close my eyes and enjoy it. lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options

The searing only took about 8 minutes. I only did it because I had set up the Egg for indirect and the grill was so close. I may do the next tri tip direct the whole way. It did pick up the oak but due to the surprising short time of the overall cook not a lot. This one is slightly rarer than I like. When I said this to my oldest son he said "there is no such thing as too rare". What can I say, he is an animal.

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Haha...that's good stuff.

I cook tri tip and steaks direct and end up with great results every time. I sear right on top of the lump using a spider, then throw on my adjustable rig and roast direct above the felt line.

The benefit of searing on top of the lump is that you don't need to get the egg as hot as you're getting radiant heat. I'm back to roasting tips in a few minutes.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    looks really good tri tip one of my favs . just did flat iron last night extremely tender maybe even better tasting then the tip 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.