Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not impressed with the Auber tem controler .

Options
So far I'm not at all impressed with the preformance of the auber temperature controller on my xl. The overshoot and then under shoot are pretty bad + 10 to -10. From what all I read this thing was supposed to be pretty much plug and play. Maybe auto tune is neccesary , but not plug and play for me. Anyone with any advice other than I should have bought the guru.

Comments

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    i have one, and have not had any issues.  Stays within a few degrees either way for me? 

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Mine works pretty darn good.  I think during the first hour or so the temperature does fluctuate a bit but there are lots of things working against the temperature staying steady as the ceramics come up to temperature and then you add a pile of cold food. 

Gerhard
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    My neighbor has one for his Large for the past 6-8 months and has been very happy with his.  Enough so that I've been tempted to get one.  But after 4 years using manual controls, I am fine just using the vents.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    No problem herd. Mine works perfectly with the large.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    +/- 10 degrees is nothing to worry about on low and slow cooks.  Good chance the variances in temperature throughout the cooker, any cooker, is greater than the +/- 10.  Best thing to do is hone your abilities using a consistent temperature measuring process and relying on one temp gauge for the cooker.   Multiple gauges will drive you crazy.......lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

You'll get swings in the beginning as the ceramic starts to warm up and cold meat goes on. The longer the cook, the more it evens out. On an overnighter, it will stabilize at your target temp and won't move at all. You do realize that a normal oven will cycle + or - 25 degrees, if not more?

Where did you have the top vent set and did you throw in a placesetter or anything else right after you lit it?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited October 2012
    Options

You'll get swings in the beginning as the ceramic starts to warm up and cold meat goes on. The longer the cook, the more it evens out. On an overnighter, it will stabilize at your target temp and won't move at all. You do realize that a normal oven will cycle + or - 25 degrees, if not more?

Where did you have the top vent set and did you throw in a placesetter or anything else right after you lit it?

Daisy petals were half open . The plate setter was in , but I let the temp get to within 10 degrees of my set temperature before connecting the auber. I did go ahead and run the auto tune feature , and it seemed to help.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @fairchase i have the BBQ guru whn i do a low and slow i light my pit and allow the guru to bring it up to temp PS in place with the grid . works perfectly every time should work for your unit as well also my DW and petals are just a hair open during the whole cook never needed to adjust and my large has no gasket . one day i may replace it 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I think you might be expecting a little too much from the system if you think it will lock in the temperature immediately.  Any of these temp controllers is a PID controller, and it takes a little while for the the system to get "in control".  My system will take a while (1 hour or so) to get to the temperature, maybe over shoot it a bit, but several hours later it will lock into it and be +/- 1 degree.  If you change the system, like open the dome, change the setting on the DW, the controller will than have to work to get the system back to a "controlled state".

That is why these systems are great for low and slows, but any cook under an hour, in my opinion, don't make sense to use a temp controller.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I have a guru. If I let it bring my egg up to temperature it will almost always over shoot my target temp. I think sometimes it gets too much fire going if the ceramics are not up to temperature. When the ceramics warm up and there is too much fire it will over shoot. I get around this by either warming up manually or if I can't baby sit the egg I just set the target temperature about 20 degrees low. But like others have said, on a long low and slow it just doesn't matter that much. Just make sure your vents are set properly and let the fan control the fire not natural air flow.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I leave the petals open just a hair. Barely open at all. Light the fire, through int he placesetter, then connect the auber and let it bring it up to temp. It will end up overshooting but it will come back down on its own.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings