Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

TFJ's Twice baked Potatoes

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you The Fabulous Janell and her fabulous twice bakers:

Twice Baked Potatoes

5 Medium Russet Potatoes
2 Cups Sour Cream
16 Slices Fully Cooked, Thick-Sliced Bacon, Crumbled
1 Cup Chives
3 Cups Cheddar Cheese

-Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 400 degrees. Scrub,
dry, and lightly rub 5  russet potatoes (8 to 9 ounces each) with
vegetable oil and sprinkle with sea salt.

-Bake potatoes on foil-lined baking sheet until skewer can be inserted
into and removed from potatoes with little resistance, 60 to 70
minute.

-Once cool enough to handle, cut each potato in half lengthwise, so
that blunt sides will rest on work surface. Using a small dinner
spoon, scoop flesh from each half into medium bowl, leaving a 1/8-inch
to 1/4-inch thickness of flesh in each shell. Arrange shells on lined
sheet.

-Mash potato flesh with fork until smooth. Stir in remaining
ingredients, except 1 cup cheese, until well combined.

-Spoon mixture into potato shells, mounding slightly at the center,
and top with remaining cheese.
bake 350 degrees until potato is warmed through and cheese is bubbly

·

Comments

• What is this "oven" you speak of? 
    :))
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,178
    Thanks cen! Bookmarked.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,477
    Don't forget to add garlic (1 Tbs granulated), salt (1 tsp or seasoned salt like Hy's) and 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper plus 1 tsp Onion powder as an option..... Guuud!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Terrific CT!  I got it bookmarked.  Please thank TFJ for all of us!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 839
    Instead of chives, I use thin sliced green onions. Sour cream is the key. You can use "no fat" without sacrificing taste. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • Thanks for posting this and the quote by @Dave in Florida is classic. Damned near spit beer onto the computer. 
    ·
  • SGHSGH Posts: 11,987
    Sounds awesome brother Tex. I have a variant of stuffed potatoes that use fresh shrimp, bacon and cheese. Will gladly share if you are interested.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,575
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for posting Cen-Tex

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 593
    I have been using a variation of this for quite a while.  Heck, sometimes, I just substitute  sweet onions.  I have been microwaving the spuds then prepping them and finishing on the LBGE. I have the team coming to the house on Wednesday.  I may just try the potatoes in the oven as I have to do 12 plus strips on the Egg. I really like how the twice baked come out on the Egg but I may have to punt due to time constraints.  I will post pics after the cook this week.
    Milton, GA.
    ·
    One question - I should be OK to prep the spuds and refrigerate on Tuesday night without any ill effects?  I would just finish them on Wednesday when I get home.
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • flynnbob said:
    One question - I should be OK to prep the spuds and refrigerate on Tuesday night without any ill effects?  I would just finish them on Wednesday when I get home.
    yes. We do that all the time. No issues at all

·
  • It sounds great. Do you cook also?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • XC242XC242 Posts: 429
    edited November 2014
    @SGH, please do.

SGH said:
    Sounds awesome brother Tex. I have a variant of stuffed potatoes that use fresh shrimp, bacon and cheese. Will gladly share if you are interested.

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    I don't cut mine in half. I wrap in aluminum foil, slice, squeeze to open and dig out all the flesh and then mix. Old restaurant habit I guess.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,513
    edited November 2014
    @

test
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 5,926
    How'd you do that?

My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA
    XL BGE - S BGE - Blackstone Pizza Oven - 30" Steel Fire Pit w/Cooking Grid - Hasty Bake Legacy - KJ Jr - Gasser
    ·
    @
    ·
  • It sounds great. Do you cook also?
    rarely, if ever

·
  • I have all my notifications turned off so you guys can ping away...

·

I have all my notifications turned off so you guys can ping away...

LOSER
    ·
    flynnbob said:
    yes. We do that all the time. No issues at all

Thanks, @The Cen-Tex Smoker  I have really enjoyed your recipe - quick, easy, and tasty.  When I have leftovers, I fry them up in the morning as a breakfast side.  I will report back later this week - Thanks!

Milton, GA.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,048
    She is lovely and can cook.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·