Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Comin! Let's Get Cooking!

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
The hurricane will be here in PA tomorrow. Not too worried about wind, just flooding. Since there is a state of emergency, I'll stay off the roads.

I'll be cooking up sweet potatoes and beets in the dutch oven. Followed by a root vegetable pot pie with parsnips, carrots, turnips and celery. Time for some down home Fall cooking!

Be safe in the storm to all of my fellow eggers on the east coast.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    gonna do a chuck roast and some flat irons tomorrow . let the winds begin 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Most people are stocking up on water.  I picked up a few 1.75L of Tito's just in case.   And a couple bags of Wicked Good. 
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Water-schmater.  Fill your bath tub up to flush the toilet.  Get a bunch of freezer bags, fill with water and put them in the freezer.  Fill. It. Up.  It's potable water and it'll keep your fridge cold for days.

We have one of those water dispenser things that uses the big 5 gallon handle, so we never really worry about it, but, take it from me - when I was at Touro hospital a few days after Katrina, after the water stopped working....the toilets were literally (I mean that) overflowing.  That's when we decided to leave.
    Growing up a literal stones throw from the Gulf of Mexico, I still horde water (I now live in central texas). 

I have about two hundred gallons of potable water right meow. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • exspo
    exspo Posts: 51
    Central Va here- could be bad or very bad, depending on what happens. Weather people don't really have a precedent for this one.
    Sunday is cook day anyway, so I'll be doing it in the wind and rain. maybe in the dark too. Spatchcock chicken and roasted potatoes up first.
    If the electricity goes then I will be cooking the freezer over the next couple days.
  • I live in Chesapeke Va. and I bought 4 bags of RO took a ham and some chicken out of the freezer to cook I work for a beer distributer so I got plenty of beer jut waiting on the storm
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • Tjcoley
    Stay safe and dry everyone.  United just canceled my Monday AM flight to California, so I'll be riding it out here in Central PA.  Latest prediction was same path as Agnes in '72 - looks like lots of flooding.  Could be a good test of how the Egg performs in 60 MPH winds and torrential downpours. Can't believe I'm doing hurricane prep 180 miles from the coast.
    Ellis Posts: 195

Wish you all everybody good luck with that storm, keep on franklen eggen. From the west coast the, deviled egg

• Tjcoley said:

Stay safe and dry everyone.  United just canceled my Monday AM flight to California, so I'll be riding it out here in Central PA.  Latest prediction was same path as Agnes in '72 - looks like lots of flooding.  Could be a good test of how the Egg performs in 60 MPH winds and torrential downpours. Can't believe I'm doing hurricane prep 180 miles from the coast.

Where are you at in central PA? I live just outside of Hershey.

Mark Annville, PA
  • Tjcoley
    Camp Hill, across the river from Harrisburg.
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Be safe everhbody. Nola, good idea on freezing bags of water.

All youse guys that are cooking just remember. No pictures, it didn't happen.
    LBGE
  • I can't believe it, it's almost Nov 1, I live in Northern CT, and I'm buttoning up my house for a Hurricane!  I'm eggless now, had to put my egg in the garage for the duration of the 'cane.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Snowing like a bear north of Toronto right now

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    Hehe - breezy and 75° in Florida.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    have a chuck roast on now no guru or micro adjuster door . winds picking up a bit here not to bad but the LBGE is holding a perfect 300 dome all by itself and no gasket on it and the smell in the air is fantastic. now to decide what to do with the flat irons i have sitting out .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2012
    Snowing like a bear north of Toronto right now

I assume it always is.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Not during the first few weeks of July typically

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thoughts are with all of you Yankees up there. Hang in there!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You'll look like that guy from the Weather Channel who's always reporting from the middle of a tornado. Be safe.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Good luck man! I did a pork and veal shepherds pie today for the wife's birthday. Two pints O' Guinness in the mix

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    If anyone does have to leave their house for a while when you suspect the power may go out, freeze a bottle of water standing up right, so the air bubble is at the top by the screw top.  Then turn it sideways and leave in your freezer.  If your power goes out long enough for the water to melt, then refreeze, the air bubble will no longer be on top, and you'll want to jettison your freezer contents.
    A week? Not cooking much...lol
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    looks good, howz it taste?
    Fulton MO
  • Oh man, Hapster, that looks good. Recipe please. Here is my root veggie pot pie.

Mark Annville, PA
  • If anyone does have to leave their house for a while when you suspect the power may go out, freeze a bottle of water standing up right, so the air bubble is at the top by the screw top.  Then turn it sideways and leave in your freezer.  If your power goes out long enough for the water to melt, then refreeze, the air bubble will no longer be on top, and you'll want to jettison your freezer contents.

Great tip. If my power goes out for too long, we'll be headed to my parents' house where there is a whole house generator.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    If anyone does have to leave their house for a while when you suspect the power may go out, freeze a bottle of water standing up right, so the air bubble is at the top by the screw top.  Then turn it sideways and leave in your freezer.  If your power goes out long enough for the water to melt, then refreeze, the air bubble will no longer be on top, and you'll want to jettison your freezer contents.
    Great tip. If my power goes out for too long, we'll be headed to my parents' house where there is a whole house generator.
    Glad to help. SWMBO  asked me to pass that tip on to the NE eggers this morning.
    well work is closed kids are home for school and the wifes work is closed . so what to do but a hurricane breakfast on the egg . home fries ,bacon and eggs along with some pancakes 

• Where are you at in central PA? I live just outside of Hershey.
    I live in Hershey, right by the Giant at Cocoa Ave!  

Stay safe, warm and dry!
  • Stargaze said:

Tjcoley said:

Where are you at in central PA? I live just outside of Hershey.

I live in Hershey, right by the Giant at Cocoa Ave!  

Stay safe, warm and dry!

Very familiar with that neck of the woods. I live behind the Palmyra bowling alley. Grew up near Middletown. Went to school at LD.

Mark Annville, PA