Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Gasket - Should I clean Burn before I change?

Options
Hello and thanks in advance for all the great advice I get off this site.  I did pizza yesterday (turned out awesome...no pics happened so fast and ate it all so quick)   Legs up all the right moves, but still fried my gasket.  Still attached but crumbling.  Most of the pit ceramics are clean, but was wondering if I should go ahead and do a clean burn with the old gasket before I change? Couldn't hurt right?  How long?  I will contact BGE tomorrow for a new High Temp gasket since the XL egg was just purchased at Eggtoberfest.  
Kind Regards...Papa C
Peachtree City, GA
2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
Roll Tide!!!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    if it's that new, you shouldn't need a clean burn. The only thing it would do is clean the rest of that gasket off for you. If you want to do it, fill the firebox, light it and walk away. just let the lump burn down
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    and if you do it, check all your bands and bolts after. The heat can expand everything and cause the dome to come loose- especially on newer eggs since they have never gotten up that high after initial assembly
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks.  That's sort of what I thought...I figured I did not have enough build up to worry about...
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!