Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklin Brisket video

Options
Just watched the Franklin YouTube video on prepping a brisket in preparation for my first brisket attempt. If you haven't seen it, it's worth watching just for the commentary on the "fake smoke ring" alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My question is how does his prep compare to the methods of the forum's resident brisket experts? CenTex I'm looking at you.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I do it the exact same way but I use other rubs. I'll do the 50/50 salt and pepper next time. There was not a lot of new information on here. It's the cook that i'm really interested in. He does them at like 320 and wraps them in butcher paper when they "feel right". He does it all by feel (no thermos at all). I've seen a video with him poking them and saying "this one's ready" or "not yet". I want to know what that feels like and I'll be in good shape. Bought my butcher paper last week. ready to give that a go.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    That is very interesting...can't wait to see. Love the series...looking forward to see the next episodes. I may even donate! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If you are new to brisket, one handy thing to do is notch (cut off the corner) the flat end that runs against the grain.  That way when you're slicing, you'll know what direction to cut.  Here is a good video on grain.  Unlike the dude in the video, I don't remember so well, as I drink beer while q'ing, hence the starter notch to follow when slicing......lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    Bought my butcher paper last week. ready to give that a go.
    Where did you find the butcher paper?   Aaron uses the unbleached red/brown paper and I've only seen the white stuff in Austin.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hoffmand said:
    Where did you find the butcher paper?   Aaron uses the unbleached red/brown paper and I've only seen the white stuff in Austin.

sams has the red/brown
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    I trim less aggressively up to the fat between the point and the flat.  It's "hard fat," and I cut all that crap out of there...

Use whatever rub you love the most to whatever degree you like..  My next cook, i'm going to experiment with a rub of 8/1 pepper/salt, recommended by a friend's smoke house...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hoffmand said:

sams has the red/brown

and John Mueller (the guy who taught Aaron everything) uses the white stuff so I wouldnt worry about the color. just use what you can find
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I do it the exact same way but I use other rubs. I'll do the 50/50 salt and pepper next time. There was not a lot of new information on here. It's the cook that i'm really interested in. He does them at like 320 and wraps them in butcher paper when they "feel right". He does it all by feel (no thermos at all). I've seen a video with him poking them and saying "this one's ready" or "not yet". I want to know what that feels like and I'll be in good shape. Bought my butcher paper last week. ready to give that a go.
    If memory serves me right I think the pit master at Prause's Meat market wraps the brisket in butcher paper.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

One thing I got from it was I'm trimming too much fat off. I cut all fat I can. I even cut under the point and remove the fat there.

I'm excited to try another brisket. I think it will be much different than my normal ones.

Thanks for the video.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig