Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dome Temp vs Grill Temp

Hi guys,

When cooking with the platesetter in a long cook (10 hours or more), will the dome temp and the grill temp be the same?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.  Noobie trying to get up to speed with new XLBGE.

XLBGE, Weber, and Barbeques Galore Gasser
·

Comments

• During a low & slow, the dome and grid temps pretty much equalize after a while. 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • During a low & slow, the dome and grid temps pretty much equalize after a while. 

Word. However I saw some funny stuff last night, it was pretty cold and windy out. My dome temp was stuck on 250 but my grate temp fluctuated any where from 200-250. But most of time it equalizes after a little while 2-3 hrs.

XLBGE 
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    My dome stays about 40 degrees higher even on the low and slows.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,785

Mine start out as much as 50 degrees different and eventually merge to about 20 degrees or so higher in the dome.  I really don't pay much attention to the dome temp on a low and slow though, I only care about what the temp is where the meat is (at grid level).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,675
    edited October 2012

Okay- as you are aware, most likely with indirect ( heat deflector in place) cooks the dome thermo will run about 20-40*f higher than the grate when starting out at least for the LBGE.  Longer the dome is shut the less the temp difference.  On direct cooks, the grate will get the full measure of heat from the lump and the dome will be lower than the cooking surface.  Raised grid- gets you further from the lump and closer to the dome temp.  You have at least one thermometer to run this BGE with.  Make sure it is calibrated and get comfortable with what the number it gives you means relative to the method you are using to cook. Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-enjoy the journey!

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • Sm62577Sm62577 Posts: 30
    My grid & dome stay just about the same on my low and slows.. I guess that's a good thing..
    ·
  • SigPSigP Posts: 25
    I did a low and slow yesterday. An hour after starting, the dome and grid were the same and stayed that way throughout the cook.

·