Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Royal Oak @ Walmart

I'm not sure if in other areas Walmart quits stocking Royal Oak for the winter but here in the Charlotte, NC area the supply is drying up.  Better stock up while you can.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• I was just wondering how this went. The people that work at my Walmart didn't understand what I was asking.

Our stock is dwindling but didn't know if it is just seasonal or completely cut out in winter.

XLBGE 
  • It completely dries up during the winter here.  I've got abotu 12 bags stashed back.

If I start to run low I'll have  to evaluate if the food is really "egg worthy", like the old "sponge worthy" episode of Seinfeld.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Belmont, NC

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,533
    I was just wondering how this went. The people that work at my Walmart didn't understand what I was asking. Our stock is dwindling but didn't know if it is just seasonal or completely cut out in winter.
    I think that this is a universal problem at Walmart, sadly.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,066
    I just started using Royal Oak this summer and like it. The guy at our Wal-Mart (in Dallas, Plano to be exact) says they stock it year  round. But if they run out there are still plenty of places in town to find lump. Glad we don't have to stockup.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Just bought 4 bags today they always have it here in Southern va
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,066
    4 bags is what I usually walk out with just cuz I hate driving over to our WM and I figure it will keep the trips down. That's the only thing I go in there for.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,533
    I wonder if it is a regional thing. It makes financial sense to not take up shelving space(not that Walmart has enough) in areas of the country during months where the weather is not conducive for outdoor cooking. Well, except for the crazy ones like us.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,344
    It's all about one thang.  Money.

• It's regional...that crazy supply/demand thing. SC walmarts dwindle down over the fall and then huge shipments in late spring. Publix has the greenwise lump which I find identical in stock year round.
  • Just bought 4 bags today they always have it here in Southern va
    Where at in Southern VA??

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Well I'm doing a major garage clean out next two days, (and a Boston butt ;)), so I'll just make some room for a couple extra bags just in case

XLBGE 
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,803
    Our Wally World, here in the GREAT WHITE NORTH, stopped carry it already, floor space for Halloween. Jeepers! Would be nice if they would carry it all year round. Our Canadian Tire Stores have a little bit of it year round. I have stocked up nicely, good till spring  :P
    23 bags 
    ;)
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,485
    Advice taken.....Last week (and I got dumped on for hoarding).
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,088
    I am not sure if my walmart sells it year round or not, but I think I am pretty much the only one who buys it because I see pretty much same amount each time I go.  When Wally world runs out I'll order some Wicked Good from Ace.
  • @ Doc it looks like you are trying to corner the market instead of stocking up.

Belmont, NC

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,485
    Buy low, sell high.  That is about 3 or 4 months for me.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• A2ZA2Z Posts: 99
    A lot of people here cook year around (winter is best) and walmart still does not stock RO.  I asked the dept head why, and he says they are way more worried about selling christmas trees and ornaments.  In October no less. 
    I used a groupon to get these 3 22 pound bags for about $11 each.  Just picked 'em up yesterday.

lump.jpg 376.2K

• bodskibodski Posts: 366
    I got 20# bags of cowboy for $8.89 at meijer. They have a bunch but its back in "seasonal."

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser

• HDmstngHDmstng Posts: 163
    bodski said:
    I got 20# bags of cowboy for $8.89 at meijer. They have a bunch but its back in "seasonal."
    How do you like it?

I have Cowboy in my egg right now, I like it fine.  Didn't get it nearly as cheap as bodski...bought at Home Despot.

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,861
    I live in Texas, where the lump flows like wine and the women flock like the salomon of capistrano. Year round.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bodskibodski Posts: 366
    I agree with nolaegghead, it works fine. I can't really tell any difference

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,069
    Personally I find that Cowboy is a PITA to light, but it burns well once you get it going.  

Around me I think Kroger lump is pretty good.  I have heard it is actually Royal Oak. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,186
    I live in Texas, where the lump flows like wine and the women flock like the salomon of capistrano. Year round.
    Are you sure it is the lump that flows?..... I thought all this time it was swallows, no idea it was fish. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ahh Texas....like the sand in an hourglass, the lump bags are filled with dust.

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,663
    Travis....what part of TX?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • You would think that in a warm southern spot like San Antonio, stores would carry plenty of lump year round, but as it is in the north, it's the same here. They clear out the lump, and any accessories for haloween, thanksgiving, and christmas stuff.  It holds true for every box store here.  Unbelieavible....
  • I just bought the last two bags at my Walmart.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • tybishtybish Posts: 61
    Our wal mart ran out of the RO. I was disappointed, however I found a bag of cowboy at Ace and they are ordering me some wicked good. Very happy about this!