Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

#10 butt overnight

Options
Got a 10# butt ready for an over nighter. Having a picnic Sunday and gonna this bad boy all smoked up tonight. Off tomorrow so I'm shooting for a late start and taking it off early tomorrow afternoon.

9.8 lb trimmed butt
Bad Byron's butt rub (no mustard)

Got it in the fridge to get real cold before going on the egg. Love overnight butts!!!

No temp controller, royal oak, apple wood chunks, maverick Et-73, shooting for anywhere between 220-250. Get temp set, let it ride for about 30 min, butt on, and hopefully never touch it until the maverick beeps an internal temp of 198•

It's supposed to get down in the 30's here tonight so we will see how the egg rides!

XLBGE 

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I'm doing two seven pounders tonight.  Should be rested and ready to eat for football tomorrow.  Good luck on yours!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Get out the KY! Mr. Cooking Nurse is doing a butt. I'll be following the pics with great interest
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

Get out the KY! Mr. Cooking Nurse is doing a butt. I'll be following the pics with great interest

Haha, got my fingers crossed the kids go to bed early! We shall see! [-O<

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's allergy season.....get out the benadryl  :))
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

For the wife or the kids??

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kids. They will be in bed plenty early with a little Benadryl punch
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    This response is not getting enough love.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Here we go!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Quick change of plans. And I mean quick! Got the egg up, and tossed butt on a little earlier than I'd liked to but I'll just have to watch it for a little while longer till it gets stable.

Apple wood and a drip pan with just enough water to cover the bottom

XLBGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Just to remind-after the last adventure I thought the new code words were Kentucky Jelly....but I have slept since then and not in a Holiday Inn Express-enjoy the cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Getting steady. It's cold outside!!

XLBGE 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    "For the wife or the kids?"

Another instant classic. Well done.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kids. They will be in bed plenty early with a little Benadryl punch
    lakewade said:
    This response is not getting enough love.
    True. It's brilliant. how about both? that way you could have a couple of drinks and cook in peace ;)

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    =D>

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Well, got the dome at 260 for the last two hours, sitting at 253 grate, 129 internal meat temp. This butt is stable and ready to ride!

On to the next project. First I picked up the house, she was out shoppig. Came home to me finishing supper ;) helped put supper away and I bathed the baby while she changed and did some school work. Benadryl check \m/
    Baby is asleep.

Got the maverick set and turning in. See y'all at 8 am u less the egg wakes me up sooner.

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Based on the objects to the right of the Maverick... Enjoy your next project!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice dude. Hilarious
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Well, got the dome at 260 for the last two hours, sitting at 253 grate, 129 internal meat temp. This butt is stable and ready to ride! On to the next project. First I picked up the house, she was out shoppig. Came home to me finishing supper ;) helped put supper away and I bathed the baby while she changed and did some school work. Benadryl check \m/ Baby is asleep. Got the maverick set and turning in. See y'all at 8 am u less the egg wakes me up sooner. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I'm crying i love this post so much.. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    At about 235 dome, 205 grate, 161 internal. I bumped it open a tad. Outside temp has a pretty big effect on the egg! It's stable and still rock solid but I have almost a 1.5-2 inch gap in bottom vent and little daisy wheel holes are almost all the way open. Usually for 225-250 I'm almost completely shut down! But it is 43• and windy outside, not the usual 90•

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I might have laid out the garbage sacks but the mustard stayed in the fridge. DRATS! FOILED AGAIN! [-X

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Time to get up! Not quiet there but hoping to break the stall in a few minutes. I added some water to my drip pan.

This is about the time I freaked out on my first but. It looks really dry and I got scared to death. But I just held on knowing that it'd have to turn out if I took it to 195-205. I don't know the science behind it but maybe after the stall all the collagen is broke down and kind seeps out moisturizing the butt for the final hoorah. All foiling it helps tender it up. I'll pull it around 200 and FTC it before I pull it.

This is where we are sitting right now.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Just checking my temps, looking great. So tender. Juices are flowing! Looks like we've broke the stall, temp is rising quicker.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited October 2012
    Options
    (Correction)
    I am stuck in the the stall. 175 been there a few hours now. Will foil if dont break soon.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Foiled and sitting on the egg trying to get to 195ish.
    Nothing better to do dying a stall but clean my guns B-)

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Pure greatness. Biutts, Trojans, guns, and.........shaving cream? I won't even ask.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

Pure greatness. Biutts, Trojans, guns, and.........shaving cream? I won't even ask.

It's been a good journey ;)

Well that took forever. Just got to 195 internal. I'm toss it in the cooler for a little while and then pull it. This is we're we sit now. FTC

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thanks for watching. Another success.

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    awesome. looks great. And as far as "thanks for watching" goes, I think we are all pretty much in when you decide to post an overnight cook. 2 for 2. Thanks for keeping it funny and interesting. Loved it.