Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bands not holding

Desert Egg
Desert Egg Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The bands on our Egg keep popping off. When I open the lid the top pops loose from the upper band. I usually have to loosen the band after a couple days cooking with it and re-adjust it. Has anyone had a problem with this or have a suggestion as how to fix it?[p] Thank,
Brad

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Desert Egg,
    No - that's not normal. I am going to suggest you call the BGE company and speak to them about this. There are two possibles I can think of. Your missing the small piece of sandpaper like tape on the hinge side of the dome or your not tightening it enough. The latter is my guess, you said you have removed the dome several times. My bolts are on so tight that when I removed the nuts to remove the band - they sheared off rather than the nut backing off the bolt. They gotta be tight - real tight. Call BGE and explain it to them and you will get this fixed once and for all. Good luck.[p]BGE[p]1-888-929-3447
    1-800-939-3447
    Atlanta, GA
    Tim

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Desert Egg,[p] If you have the new style of hinge, which is the one that
    you are able to open & lock with one motion, check the
    front. At the front of the Egg, the hinge has a small
    pin which lines up with the small pre-made hole. If for
    some reason your hinge does not have this pin, this may
    be why you are having problems. The hinge will continue to
    come loose. Just a guess on my part!! Hope I'm right.[p] Earl

• Tim M,
    The Egg was assembled when I got it. There is/was not any sand paper on the band. I've broken 4 bolts already, so it probably is not that. More than likely the sand paper was never put on from the start. My parents picked it up for me(it was a gift to my wife for x-mas, didn't want her to know about it) so I didn't get any info with it.
    I'll call BGE and see about the sand paper.

Thanks,
    Brad

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Desert Egg,[p]I agree with Tims recommendation that you call BGE. They will help you. Good people.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Desert Egg,[p]Its just a small piece of tape that has a rough texture to it. I think it is important and I have seen several posts here from those who didn't have it and their complaint was the same as yours. The front of the band has the small dimple that fits into the hole in the ceramic, the rear of the band (near the hinge) grabs the dome with the aid of that abrasive strip of tape. I hope thats all it is. Most Eggs (maybe all) are assembled by the stores who sell them to you so maybe someone for got to add it.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Mine slips also. I used the tape, per C~Ws suggestion (it is like a coarse coated sandpaper that is self adhesive). It works okay, but it is slipping a bit. It gets pulled down with the band. I guess you should tighten every couple weeks.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Desert Egg,
    Replced mine only recently with the self locking bands, I don't recall any sandpaper. Think I would check the pin alignment on the lid.[p]Mark