Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Smell

Options
First of all I would like to say that I love cooking on the Egg. I do it as often as possible.Now i am thinking of baking some bread and I am afraid it will smell "smoky".
Even If I don't use any chips all my meat has this smoky taste that I would like to avoid on bread.
I have never done a clear burn and maybe I am getting some residual smoke taste.
I have a nomex gasket; will it stand the high heat? Living in Greece doesn't make things like getting replacement parts easy for me.

Please help me out...

Comments

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

Hello.

I personally like the smokey aroma/taste. It adds to the bread.Much more flavorful.

Think of it as the crust of a pizza done in a wood fired brick oven.

I like to score the top with a few cross cuts . Rub some olive oil (Greek of course) and some garlic or a mix of herbs.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Casekeibs
    Options
    I have had the same problem with bread on the egg, and yes the smokey taste and smell detracts from the bread flavor. I found if I get the coals burning hot for 15-20 minutes and the bring the temp up to 400-450, the bread cooks in 30 minutes, has a nice crust and doesn't taste the least bit smokey. The below recipe is awesome for boule loaves and I've Ben used to to make hamburger buns. Add a little twist and mix some fresh herbs ino the dough as you shape it and cover it in an infused olive oil. Coat the moistened crust itch salt, fennel, sesame seeds, or whatever you fancy. It goes wonderfully with hot peppers and oil after its fresh off the egg. Enjoy! Casey http://www.food.com/recipe/5-Minute-Artisan-Bread-325571
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    makis said:
    First of all I would like to say that I love cooking on the Egg. I do it as often as possible.Now i am thinking of baking some bread and I am afraid it will smell "smoky".
    Even If I don't use any chips all my meat has this smoky taste that I would like to avoid on bread.
    I have never done a clear burn and maybe I am getting some residual smoke taste.
    I have a nomex gasket; will it stand the high heat? Living in Greece doesn't make things like getting replacement parts easy for me.

Please help me out...

The Egg, Platesetter, and Bread Stone will take almost an hour to heat up to 500 degrees so all parts are equal temp (think Brick Oven). Start with fresh lump and by the time the Egg stabilizes you should have no smoke or smell from the exhaust.
    If you have been doing lots of slow cooks where drippings have fallen or run down side of Egg you may want to allow a load of lump to burn completely through with all your grates, grills, platesetter, etc inside. If you keep the temp in the 500-600 range the gasket will be fine.
    Kent Madison MS
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    Low and slow are more frequent so I think this must be it.I will fire it up and keep it @ 600 with everything in and we see what happens. Don't get me wrong, I love the smoke, thats why I bought the Egg in the first place, but it has its limits. I don't want everything to have the same taste that's all...
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    what BBQMaven said, you're supposed to let it come to temperature for about 1 hour before putting the bread on and that's clean heat by then, never had a problem with smoke on bread and I bake breads weekly. I do have a dedicated baker egg so I can't comment on grease smell.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Leave space between each part on the inside (make spacers out of ball of foil if needed.) This creates a "self-cleaning" aspect. Typically put my plate setter in legs up, pizza stone in, grate on top, etc....

We love cooking breads and seldom have anything more than a slight hint of smoke - just what you would Eggspect!
    Kent Madison MS
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I keep 1 platesetter and 1 pizza stone just for baking. No grease or lo-n-slo smoke on them. Likewise, run the Egg at a dome of 450 till the stone is up to 450. If there's been any smoke on my breads, it has not been noticeable.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    The name of this thread reminded me of my teenager's complaint from the back seat while transporting the small in our mini van back home from cooking at Grandma's house.  "Dad, it really smells like Egg back here...BAD!"  I woulda changed places with her. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    Teenagers are difficult, my 8 year old loves the egg smell no matter how bad, I raised her well :)