Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question

Options
I've two butts on the egg since 4:00 central. They are at 230 dome. They're at 160 internal meet. (Just now starting plateau)

I really don't want to sit up and wait. And of course I don't want them to over cook. Can I just shut it down to a "simmer" and get em off in the morning?

I've cooked dozens of pork butts and had real success. I've also done overnights. I've just never done em where they'll finish in the middle of the night.

Also - I have a friend who cooks ribs and then puts a butt on and leaves it over night over the same coals. Perfect every time. He doesn't own a probe or any kind of temperature device.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Crank it and stay up until 1 or 2 AM, turbo til it's done, or make sure it's stable at your current tem, and wake up early.  Or foil and put in your oven at 200.  Unless you feel confident you can keep your egg running all night at a real low temp and sleep a little later.
    Options
    230 dome is pretty low. If you have a stable fire, I'd let them go overnight. I've had 10 pound butts take 24 hours at 225 dome (I now cook higher from the advice here). I would not shut down to a 'simmer' as you will probably wake up to a cold Egg.
    Options
    Just jacked it up to about 300. Gonna wait it out.
  • joejoeshooter
    Options
    I'm not scared of an all night cook. But I'm pretty sure this ones not gonna go all night.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    foil 'em and they'll cook even faster.  You're cool to crank it up even more than 300.   Of course nothing is guaranteed if your thermometer is off one way or another.
    Options
    @joejoe - how did it turn out?