Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cook or change gasket

My gasket is fried and needs to be changed but I've been gone all week and I'm ready to fire up the egg. Do you have to wait 12 hrs after a gasket change? If so, I guess I have a choice to make. Probably just cook with no gasket.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think you'd be fine cooking the next day if you kept the temps in the low-n-slow range.
    Cook!  If there are any big gaps just use some foil to fill them in the mean time ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Hapster...a real egger would do a low and slow through the storm....jk. Batten down the hatches and take care.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Man, I haven't had a gasket in years. If you look at the thread where the guy was looking at an old clay egg they didn't even have gaskets. The gaskets were introduced to cushion the closing of the egg, not for anything to do with maintaining temps.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    I've been gone for a week and I'm jonesing to get on the egg...
  • Little Steven
    hapster said:
    LOL... May do that Sunday into Monday if there is any food left in the stores. My wife and I are going to a great steakhouse tomorrow for dinner. Tonight we are having the chicken I cooked last night.

Where you at Hap? Thought you were in MI

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Zippylip/McNuttly is in Westchester. Is that close?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I haven't had anything that passes as a gasket for about 8 months now on two Eggs. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    @hapster - you got a generator?  I've been through a bunch of hurricanes and tropical storms and they sell out quick.  Also, fill up everything that takes gas with gas.  There's inevitably a fuel shortage and long lines whenever stations open up again.
    Nola, I'm just installing one. Hope I can get the gas guy here on Tuesday. We're supposed to get spanked even this far inland 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Yikes!  Didn't realize it's going to hammer on our floppy headed brothers in the North! ;) 

Did you get a standby generator?

I put one in right after Katrina - does the whole house.  Worth every penny (really wasn't that expensive, I did the install myself).
    Nola, I'm just installing one. Hope I can get the gas guy here on Tuesday. We're supposed to get spanked even this far inland 
    you running with gasoline or natural gas, thats a pretty big generator your putting in.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    I have a bunch of generators at work but this is a built in. When the house was rewired I put all the essential stuff on one panel so it isn't a big deal and it's automatic transfer. If I don't get it done I will feed that panel with a gasoline one. I live in the boonies and the grid is old and sensitive so I really want to get it done

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited October 2012
    Self delete for harmony

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    I have a bunch of generators at work but this is a built in. When the house was rewired I put all the essential stuff on one panel so it isn't a big deal and it's automatic transfer. If I don't get it done I will feed that panel with a gasoline one. I live in the boonies and the grid is old and sensitive so I really want to get it done
    if you can upgrade with a propane or nat gas kit it might be worth it but i dont know if yur plagued with ethenol gas problrms
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    This is nat gas

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    As an egger...you can't use gas. But you can haul your ass to middle TN and we'll cook and drink.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Throw the gasket in the trash and cook.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Mine is dual fuel.  LP or NG.  I only run on NG, it's never been shut off in at least a decade. 
    As an egger...you can't use gas. But you can haul your ass to middle TN and we'll cook and drink.

Throw the gasket in the Itrash and cook.

Throw the gasket in the trash and cook.

Ok

• fishlessman
    This is nat gas
    thats the best way to go with an outside unit
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead

hapster said:
    Yep... about 15 minutes southeast of me. I'm in Downingtown
    Are you guys freaked out with this thing?  Jeff Masters from wunderground.com is my hurricane god and I think he was the first to call this a "billion dollar storm".

Anyway, power, or lack of it, makes it either miserable or sorta fun if and when it's out for a day to a couple of weeks. You guys are getting some weird stuff, since we're usually burning up after a storm and you'll be freezing your asses off.

Good luck, I'll be monitoring - and stock up on adult beverage.
    Good luck and stay safe! I think the gasket is the least of your problems!
    Lynnwood WA
  • fishlessman
    fishing is always best just before the storm rolls in, im so glad i didnt put the boat away yet
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    edited October 2012

hapster said:
    Yep... about 15 minutes southeast of me. I'm in Downingtown
    Are you guys freaked out with this thing?  Jeff Masters from wunderground.com is my hurricane god and I think he was the first to call this a "billion dollar storm".

Anyway, power, or lack of it, makes it either miserable or sorta fun if and when it's out for a day to a couple of weeks. You guys are getting some weird stuff, since we're usually burning up after a storm and you'll be freezing your asses off.

Good luck, I'll be monitoring - and stock up on adult beverage.
    I am on a well and there is a mascerator pump on the septic system. My sister has crohn's disease so it's a problem here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995

Save the gasket and put it on another day. Cook without it. No problems. My large has been without gasket for over a year. I think when you put a new one on, the longer the better on wait time. Low and slow your probably ok, but theres really no need to rush it.