Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok, You Guys Convinced Me. Brisket Tonight!

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a while soaking up all of the great wisdom.  So, after a while, I built my table, bought an XLBGE and did my first cook Monday in secret.  I cooked a whole chicken.  It was horible!  I found out by searching hear that my fire starter cube did not burn off so my chicken soaked up all of the flavor from the starter.  No bueno! So, tried again with whole lump mesquite with a Weber fire starter cube and cooked chicken again and it was AWESOME! 

So, I have decided to reach for the big brass ring and cook a brisket tonight for tomorrow.  I have a 10.5 lb whole brisket and am following the Travis and Cent-Tex method of cooking.  I'll post pics and results, no matter what.

Just want to say I have so enjoyed reading so many wonderful posts from so many people on this site.  I look forward to finally being able to eat brisket without having to go to th eSalt Lick in Austin, TX (As I am in Southern California, the trip is expensive just to eat brisket, lol).

Thanks everyone!

XLBGE, Weber, and Barbeques Galore Gasser

Comments

• Well, Travis and I do them completely different so you are going to have to pick a lane :). I recommend people try his all the time for many reasons but I don't braise mine. I'm all old school low and slow, smoke and spice. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Travis's are so much better

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I agree with everything Steven says. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    C'mon man gimme a like

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    Well, Travis and I do them completely different so you are going to have to pick a lane :). I recommend people try his all the time for many reasons but I don't braise mine. I'm all old school low and slow, smoke and spice. 

What my friend means is that he is old, not old school. He gets forgetful sometimes. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited October 2012
    Well, Travis and I do them completely different so you are going to have to pick a lane :). I recommend people try his all the time for many reasons but I don't braise mine. I'm all old school low and slow, smoke and spice. 

What my friend means is that he is old, not old school. He gets forgetful sometimes. 

Who are you? What am I doing here? Why do I have the urge to dump a beer in a pan and boil a brisket?
  • travisstrick

Who are you? What am I doing here? Why do I have the urge to dump a beer in a pan boil a brisket?
    It's the cool thing to do. Everyone is doing it.  :ar!
  • Little Steven
    Make sure U use good beer, and worchestershire

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    You guys are so outta touch.  Salt and pepper.  Oak fire.  Start fire with oily butcher paper.  No stinkin' thermometers, meat or otherwise.  Cook until it feels right done like.  Serve on butcher paper.  Eat. BBQ sauce is for tourists.  Oh, and you need really good meat, unfortunately they don't sell to the public.
    edited October 2012
    Figured someone (Travis and Cen-Tex) would point out the obvious differences-so now you have scared off the OP and he will likely never surface again...meanwhile, back at the ranch :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hey guys,

I think I picked a lane by using the best of both. 

Here's my plan: 1) set up like Travis (pan, beer, onions, mustard, plus some garlic cloves etc.);  2) cook like Cen-tex (300 dome, 275 grill temp); 3) wait till internal temp reached 295 and start testing for tenderness by poking with temp probe.  What do you think?

Do have 2 questions:

1) when do I start it?  it is 10.5 lbs of brisket (flap and point)

2) Do I put the fat side down in the pan?

Thanks for all the help. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314

With the Cen-Tex temperature you will likely see around 1-1.25 hrs/#.  Now combinijng that with the Travis braise means I have no clue.  Plan to finish several hours early as you can hold with the FTC (foil, towels and cooler0 for a good 4-6 hours before time to serve.  Hopefully one of the chosen will sort out the dilemma.

Fat up or down means nothing in a braising pan-if straight up on the grid then I go fat side down but it really makes no difference.  Enjoy the journey and welcome!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds like a good plan.

Don't know your serve time, but start 10-18 hours before you want to eat, whatever is convenient.  You have even more latitude if you use temp adjustment and FTC.

Fat side up says the god Franklyn, but I'm not sure with broiling.  Maybe down in that case...Don't think it matters that much.

Had a typo that you guys were kind enough to ignore.  I'll start testing at 195, not 295. 

Now, after the comments, I am thinking of taking it out of the pan and putting it on the grill fat side down and putting the pan underneath as a drip pan and leaving the beer, etc in the pan.  Would'nt that steam the brisket and isn't that bad?

Sorry for the wishy-washy nooby questions.  Feel a little (a lot) unsure of myself and want it to come out good.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    There are as many ways to cook a brisket as there are members on this forum. I'm a 225* fat up bath underneath guy. The best is trying different styles and coming up with "your" way.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited October 2012
    You guys are so outta touch.  Salt and pepper.  Oak fire.  Start fire with oily butcher paper.  No stinkin' thermometers, meat or otherwise.  Cook until it feels right done like.  Serve on butcher paper.  Eat. BBQ sauce is for tourists.  Oh, and you need really good meat, unfortunately they don't sell to the public.
    Preach it brother nola!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Wildcoach said:

Hey guys,

Here's my plan: 1) set up like Travis (pan, beer, onions, mustard, plus some garlic cloves etc.);  2) cook like Cen-tex (300 dome, 275 grill temp); 3) wait till internal temp reached 295 and start testing for tenderness by poking with temp probe.  What do you think?

Do have 2 questions:

Thanks for all the help. 

Travis cooks up there too so this is all Travis method. It's a good way to do it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited October 2012
    Wildcoach said:

Hey guys,

Do have 2 questions:

Thanks for all the help. 

Travis cooks up there too so this is all Travis method. It's a good way to do it.
    and yes, put the fat side in the liquid so you get a good crust on the meat side. You can also pull it out of the liquid an hour or so before you pull it off the egg to firm up the crust on the side that was in the juice. Try it this way and see how you like it. It's a little easier to get it right with the braise.