Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do BGE Tools Hold Up Outside?

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Here is the background:My new LBGE gets stored under a BGE cover and is under my grill gazebo, so it should stay reasonably dry but some wind driven rain may get blown on it. Still it will be a more humid environment than indoors. I've been hanging the BGE Grid Lifter, the BGE Dual Handle Grill Brush and Scraper and the BGE Ash Tool on the hooks under my Egg Shelves. I keep them on the folded up shelves when I cover my Egg. I noticed the other day that the scraper blade of the BGE DH Grill Brush is starting to show signs of rust. I also noticed the blade of the Ash Tool is starting to get discolored area making it look like it will soon have a rust spot. Now these are cleaning tools and I am not as worried about their appearance, but I do like to take good care of my tools. 

I also recently picked up a 27"x27" outdoor base cabinet made out of "plastic" lumber. It has a cabinet section and an upper drawer unit. It too is under the grill gazebo. I picked up some gasketed bins that I store things like my grill baskets, raised grids, grill wok in. I think these items will remain moisture ( & bug) free. But there is still the top drawer. I can't get a bin that is both wide or deep enough and only 4" tall. So I am concerned about what I store in the drawer.

Here are my questions:1) Do you guys store your Ash Tools, Grid Liters, DH Grill Brush etc out at your Egg full time and how have they held up? Is your Egg covered.?2) Do any of you have outdoor cabinets you store your gear in? What do you store in it and how has it held up?3) Do you have any tips or tricks related to storing your gear?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may provide. Where this is my third grill I am out of room in my indoor storage cabinet, and I like to store some of this outdoors near the Egg. But I don't want to damage these Eggcessories.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I store my tools hanging on my table, which is covered, on my deck.  I haven't noticed any overt corrosion on any of the tools.  That being said, I keep the more expensive things inside my house, like my pit controller.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You take care of your stuff better than I do. I think right now my placesetter and pizza stone are sitting on a chair next to the Egg. The grid extender is laying on the ground and the ash tool is sitting on the table next to the mini. Usually I take all my stuff and just stick it in the large, no cover, sits out in the open elements, unless the wind is going to be blowing strong. Then I move it under the patio as we have a big tree that drops limbs like crazy. No problems with anything so far, although after almost 2 years I am starting to show a bit of rust on the ash tool.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    My platesetter & DFMC get stored inside the Egg and my pizza stone is in the original box inside the new cabinet. I couldn't leave the unglazed ceramics outside like that because we've already gotten down below freezing. The unglazed ceramics could get moisture in some of the existing holes and surface imperfections and then a freeze would expand the water....not good.

But my real concern is the metal Eggcessories. Not all stainless steel is created equal and for price considerations very few stainless steel grill accessories are made of the "non-rusting" stainless steel. Or so it seems. Eggcessories seem to be very well built, but I just don't know, how good their materials are and how they will hold up over time.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have a separated garage behind my townhouse where I normally keep everything but the egg. I had no signs of rust on any of my metal tools(grid lifter and ash tool) as I always put everything in the garage after cooking. This was throughout the summer and early fall(egg was father's day gift). A few weeks ago I mistakenly left both tools sitting on a step next to some potted plants and I missed them for 2 days while it rained. I can now see rust around the spring mechanism on the grid lifter and at the weld areas of the ash tool. The metal is otherwise fine. I would definitely keep them dry. It just seems like persistent moisture could cause further issues. My dad keeps his tools on a screened-in porch and has had no issues however. So I would think that humidity should not be an issue unless it is very high or you are near the ocean.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    All my stuff is stored in a cabinet or drawer of my table.  The table is covered when not in use.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I store everything except the maverik and digiq in my champion egg table.  It has weather stripping on all the doors and so far has kept my tools from rusting.  It is very humid in middle Tennessee so the weather stripping isn't going to help with that but it does keep out any windblown water.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Steel tools can be seasoned, that helps prevent rust.  You can spray and wipe down any metal with vegetable oil.  That's an old trick used by woodworkers - they keep their metal oiled.  Beeswax and mineral oil mixed together is a pretty durable anti-rust coating.  Heat them up to mix.

I haven't had a problem, but I only keep a few tools outside like grill brushes and tongs.
    I store my ash tool and grid lifter on hooks on the egg mate side tables, uncovered almost always (least used egg-ccessory is the egg cover).  Been doing this close to 4 years, have some minor rust spots on the inside of the grid lifter handle (the shiny coating has flaked off), no other noticeable weathering.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    dlk7 said:

I store everything except the maverik and digiq in my champion egg table.  It has weather stripping on all the doors and so far has kept my tools from rusting.  It is very humid in middle Tennessee so the weather stripping isn't going to help with that but it does keep out any windblown water.

Where in TN?

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2012

Some of the tools just sit out 100% (the Eggs are roofed over). The box holds everthing not under roof. The box is from Sams.

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey - I got the same setup as you.  Stuff not under roof in one of those boxes out in the open.  Stays dry.
    henapple said:
    Where in TN?
    About 7 miles southeast of Franklin near Page High School.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Mickey - I got the same setup as you.  Stuff not under roof in one of those boxes out in the open.  Stays dry.

Just had one of the hinges poll out of the plastic (taking plastic with it). Not sure how I am going to fix.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin said:
    You take care of your stuff better than I do. I think right now my placesetter and pizza stone are sitting on a chair next to the Egg. The grid extender is laying on the ground and the ash tool is sitting on the table next to the mini. Usually I take all my stuff and just stick it in the large, no cover, sits out in the open elements, unless the wind is going to be blowing strong. Then I move it under the patio as we have a big tree that drops limbs like crazy. No problems with anything so far, although after almost 2 years I am starting to show a bit of rust on the ash tool.

i'm with grif and i'm 8 years running. they are all fine.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX