Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grass Fed

Anyone cook grass fed very much? Every try a brisket? My local butcher has grass fed briskets from time to time and wanted to get the opinion of everyone before I drop the money on it.
·

Comments

• Don't do it. Way too lean. Waste of money.

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,253
    Agree with centex your better off getting and increase in grading for the extraordinary you spend on grass fed. Also has a slightly different flavor profile some don't like because its different than beef. Think hormone free chicken to franken-birds.
    ·
  • I have had grass fed before (bought a portion of a cow), however, I did not get the brisket. I enjoy the flavor of grass fed. Cost wise the butcher sells briskets, grass fed, for $3.79 a pound. Not sure what you pay where you are, but that is basically the same price as grain fed up here in the NW.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,648
    I like grass fed burgers a lot, but I agree, the marbled fat in brisket makes all the difference and you just don't get as much of it with grass fed beef.

·
  • ....listen to Centex......don't do it

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,253
    I can't say I've price brisket but the butcher by my house sells prime ribeye about $17 a pound and his grass fed runs around $22.
    ·
  • OK ok ok, I will trust the CT, don't want to flush my money down the tube... gosh... ;)
    ·
  • OK ok ok, I will trust the CT, don't want to flush my money down the tube... gosh... ;)
    It's not as much about the money. It's a wasted cook. A brisket is a roast and a roast had better have a lot of fat if it's going to be good. Grass fed is notoriously lean (good for you, but bad for BBQ). I've done it...shoe leather 

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258
    There is nothing wrong with grass fed beef. You just don't want flank, brisket or eye of round from it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • There is nothing wrong with grass fed beef. You just don't want flank, brisket or eye of round from it.
    correct. I like grass fed steaks. I just have not had a good grass fed roast. Too lean

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258
    Most of ours is grass fed. Some corn but very little. Tough stuff sometimes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I have cooked grass fed roasts in the crockpot, turned out great, except for one but the meat went bad for some reason on that one.
    ·
  • Most of ours is grass fed. Some corn but very little. Tough stuff sometimes

·