Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injections

EggerInCharlotte
EggerInCharlotte Posts: 76
edited October 2012 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
Hey, everyone -

So, I'm hearing folks talk about injecting pork butt with strained Italian dressing, vinegar, apple juice, etc. etc.

I would really appreciate everyone's experience around injecting.  Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

Comments

• muttin
    muttin Posts: 45

i did a version of this this spring i did a small bottle of italian dressing strained out the junks. then mixed with apple juice a small bottle you get from a gas station. then added the seasoning that i use for my rub (dizzy dust) to the mix untill the liquid is covered in it. stir it up let it sit for a little bit (the thought was to get a little of the rub flavor into the injection) the after a little bit strain it out again and inject. if it is still in a wrap from the store great other wise wrap in plastic and place in fridge over night. next day take out and use your rub (dizzy dust) on the outside and cook

i did a bbq comp this spring and did about 5 different kinds of injections and did tast tests with my family for about 3 weeks and this always came out on top

that is what i have done i am sure you will find lots of different kinds of injections on here  

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    For pork I usually just use apple juice, for brisket I make a heartier injection with more flavor
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I am thinking about injecting my thanksgiving turkey and have been searching for ideas. 
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • If you buy the meat from a grocery store its probably "enhanced" meaning it has a salt based solution to help keep the meat fresh. If this is the case I skip using salt in my injection. Just a tid bit for ya.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I've used creole butter, Italian dressing, apple cider vinegar, apple juice, and a cider/juice mix. I liked them all and I'm partial to injecting v not injecting.
    Boom
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    We injected a cured pork picnic with maple syrup. Had the usual spicy rub on the outside. It was awesome.

Actually, we just used Log Cabin syrup. Real maple syrup is outrageously priced, these days.

Tim
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    @ratcheer I may try that. I have a friend whose dad makes his own syrup so I get a few bottles a year. I eat a lot of French toast in the months that follow that gift.
    Boom
  • The injected maple syrup actually sounds great...but, it doesn't caramelize inside the meat?  Although it sounds great, it does sound very, very sweet tasting.  No??
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I like the pork injection from Butcher BBQ.  Instead of mixing it with two cups of water I do one cup of water and one cup of Dr. Pepper.  I've never had any complaints.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    The injected maple syrup actually sounds great...but, it doesn't caramelize inside the meat?  Although it sounds great, it does sound very, very sweet tasting.  No??
    I did not find it to be exceptionally sweet. Sure, there was a little sweetness to it, but it was mainly a rich maple flavor that came through to me.

Tim
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    An injection suggestion-wrap the target meat in a saran wrap material and inject thru the wrap.  Greatly reduces and confines the stray shots and makes clean-up much easier. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    lousubcap said:
    An injection suggestion-wrap the target meat in a saran wrap material and inject thru the wrap.  Greatly reduces and confines the stray shots and makes clean-up much easier. FWIW-
    +1

So, I'm hearing folks talk about injecting pork butt with strained Italian dressing, vinegar, apple juice, etc. etc.

I would really appreciate everyone's experience around injecting.  Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

Experiment with it, but the one key thing to keep in mind....following the basic rules in grilling a pork butt is much more important than what injection you use. 

Two butts ago I didn't really know what I was doing and I injected it, poor results.  Last time I did one, I got some advice from the kind folks here and had a KILLER pork butt as a result....no injection.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2012
    lousubcap said:
    +1+1  Cleaning injection liquid off the ceiling is not fun.  (voice of experience)
    If you buy the meat from a grocery store its probably "enhanced" meaning it has a salt based solution to help keep the meat fresh. If this is the case I skip using salt in my injection. Just a tid bit for ya.
    Read the label, ask the butcher.  SQBBQ is correct about "enhanced" meat
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • ttexxan
    ttexxan Posts: 51
    edited December 2012

I use this and turns out great

3/4 cup apple juice, 1/2 cup water, 2 Tbs wishtishire, 1 cup sugar white, 1/4 cup salt

stir until sugar and salt dissolved.  Inject. Then if really want a good butt use Butt Rub on the outside!!  This dry rub can be used for anything!!   I put large amounts right on the butt.  You will thank me later!!  Oh yeah ... I have let set overnight and also have put on grill right after injecting.  Both methods good so dont be afriad to throw right on the smoker.  Do low and slow with some apple wood chips.

Put on indirect with pan of apple juice at around 200-230.  Look for internal temp of 195 on the meat.  I also have a spray bottle of the injection sauce and spray over the butt during the cook.  You will thank me later for doing that also.  Makes nice outside!!  Yummy!!