Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened catfish and roasted potatoes

Options
Fish coated in butter, then coated with spice mixture of black pepper, red pepper, salt, cumin, paprika, and thyme. Red potatoes sliced, coated in evo sprinkled with salt, pepper and garlic. Scotty stable at 450, raised direct, potatoes on in large foil pan covered with foil for about 40 minutes, removed foil top for 10 minutes to brown a bit. At this point I also placed cat iron skillet on lower grate to get it very hot. Pulled potatoes and took upper grate off, added a tablespoon of cooking oil and put in fillets. About 2 minutes and flip, chook until flaky (about two minutes).

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks really good.  I loved blackened stuff.  You know you're blackening properly when you start coughing uncontrollably from the smoke.
    Very nice cook. Two of my favorite items .. Blackened fish and taters
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks, it was good, short prep time, nice easy week night cook.  When I got my egg to replace my old gasser that finally died, I expected to remain a weekend griller.  However, the pure goodness of the egg has really motivated me to do a lot more cooking.  The food is great and the wife loves it. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice meal...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    Options
    JwgreDeux said:
    ... Scotty stable at 450, ...
    Took me a minute to figure out what that meant. Searched on 'Scotty' and figured out that you named your grill. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I haven't named mine.

Great looking meal. Fish looks fantastic. Gonna try that soon...
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options

SigP said:
    JwgreDeux said:
    ... Scotty stable at 450, ...
    Took me a minute to figure out what that meant. Searched on 'Scotty' and figured out that you named your grill. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I haven't named mine.

Great looking meal. Fish looks fantastic. Gonna try that soon...
    Named in tribute to a wise man who introduced me to the big green egg world....I shall never be the same.