Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sweet potato

What fix'n?
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
·

Comments

• HashmakerHashmaker Posts: 149
    Butter
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    and Cinnamon sugar

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    Now, allow me to irritate Little Steven with some muthaflippin' food SCIENCE!!!!

You can cook sweet potatoes slow and the beta-amylase enzyme will keep breaking the starch down into sugar.   I believe this enzyme works up until 168 F (might be 144 F).  If you cook fast, you'll have less sugar and more starch.  So you can control the overall texture and sweetness with the cooking temps.  The amylase is called a diastatic.  Same thing brewers use to convert starches to sugars, same thing the malting process of grains uses.

·
    @nolaegghead...so are you saying just put butter on it or what?
    ·

Hashmaker said:
    @nolaegghead...so are you saying just put butter on it or what?
    Yeah, all that stuff I wrote basically equals "put more damn butter on it".  :)

·
    Just checkin cause I'm from South Carolina and words like beta-amylase and enzyme and amylase and diastatic confuse me. I just put butter and gravy on everything and figured that's what you meant.
    ·
  • Just to be safe, maybe use unsalted butter and save the salt for when they're done.  You don't want to interfere with the beta-amylase enzyme starch breakdown process!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    Ohhh....whoops.  I'm dyslexic.  I was thinking you were "Mashmaker" from Kentucky.  Those guys are proverbial rocket scientists on diastatics and amylase due to the moonshine industry.  My apologies!

·
    It's ok. Google is my friend. Sometime tomorrow, I'll figure it out. :D
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,794
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·