Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thin Pork Chops

Options
Appjust about every pork chop thread I've come across is for something 1.5" to 3" thick. I have a pair of 0.5" thick chops bone-in and I'm struggling with my approach. Right now I'm thinking sear with CI grill press at 600 dome for 2.5 min per side. I do not have a thermapen yet but I could try and get the tip of my maverick into the cut during the rest. Anyone got any tips or different approach? Sitting waiting on the egg to come to temp right now.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hot tub them at 130* for half an hour and give them a sear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DawgDays
    Options
    Now yer talkin. Perfect tip. Will report back.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    My experience with sous vide pork chops is that it takes too long to get the sear before they start cooking inside too.  My goal has been to end up with medium-medium rare after a few hours sous vide'ing at 134.  I ended up with a modestly decent sear, but medium+ interior and a gradient.  When I try a really hot fire (500+), it's difficult to control them having burnt grill mark areas and they still end up too done and that's with a little thicker chops than you're describing and flipping them every after a min. on each side, then 30 sec. on each side for a total of 3 min.  Clearly, I don't have my technique down and my wife has asked me to go back to pure BGE which she loves.  I'm thinking of sous vide'ing them, then refrigerating them again prior to the sear.  But, she has a good point, chops regular on the egg are damn good.

My suggestion for thin ones would be to do your normal prep -wash, dry season, the refrigerate and sear on a hot grill with frequent flips.  Don't expect med. or med. rare, just tasty, juicy ones - hopefully.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Brine them for about 1 - 1.5 hours in Rhulman's standard brine.  Let them sit for another hour for the brine to even out and the outside dry.  Sear.

You can add spices to the brine and they'll permeate the pork.
    I ended up hot tubbing to 135* and searing for 90 seconds per side at 600* after a DD rub. They were super juicy. As css cautioned above, the sear was less than ideal. Still awfully tasty. Thanks all.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dis Canuck knows what he be talkin' about

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Steve - you do.  Dawg - glad they came out super juicy.  Means you didn't over cook them.
    Options

If I could only post a pic. Did a brilliant pork sirloin tonight. Sucks

Steve 

Caledon, ON