Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How To Cook Trimings From St. Louis Style Ribs

Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've cut up some spare ribs into St. Louis Style for the first time. Going to be smoking them on the egg tomorrow. Do you just smoke the trimmings along with the ribs? I'm assuming it doesn't take as long? What do you like doing with the trimmings (sorry, don't know the techinical name)? Thanks for the input. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think you are right they are gonna finish first.  I would just throw them on and perhaps pull them off a little early and snack on them, and any I don't want I would freeze and use in ABT's.  Or heck...maybe just pull em off, stuff some ABTS, throw those back on and eat those as a snack! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I just throw the stuff with all of the cartilage in it away.  To me that's the reason to make them St. Louis.  I do however cook the flaps of meat that I cut off.  I just usually rub them with the same rub as the ribs and eat it as a snack a couple of hours into the cook.  I have a buddy that has a BBQ Restaurant that makes rib sandwiches out of the same meat.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • freduc2
    freduc2 Posts: 73
    When I cook them I usually snack on them or save them to throw in beans. If you remove the cartilage you can grind it up for sausage patties. 
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Grind them up and make rib meat fatties...OMG deeelious....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Smoke 'em and eat partway through as a chef's treat or grind up with pork shoulder for sausage.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    As has been said,  cook like ribs just little shorter time, I take the raw tips and cut up when doing oriental pork stir fry.  Some take the brisket portion and use the meat for sausage.  I like to put them in a pot of water with bbq pork rub, pork butt bones I get from my butcher and boil for 3-5 hours.  The meat is then used like pp and the broth is to die for, especially when doing  Thai pork noodle pho.  Great flavor or mix with some chicken broth and be creative.