Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on low and slow

Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have done more than a few low and slow over night cooks - nothing like most of you - and have had good but inconsistent results as far as maintaining a steady temp. I do not have a digi q, etc. Anyway, I am about to do another 3 butts on my large and am reviewing the Elder Ward method of building and starting the fire. Others have recently posted questions about their similar issues, especially a drop in temp when the plate setter, drip pan with water, and meat are added. My question is, has/does anyone preheat the plate setter or pan of water? It seems like This could be done in the oven at even 150 degrees or so. Any comments?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Not worth pre heating.  Just put it in the egg and let the entire egg with setter warm up.   I usually take an hour to let temp stabilize before putting meat in.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Not worth pre heating.  Just put it in the egg and let the entire egg with setter warm up.   I usually take an hour to let temp stabilize before putting meat in.
    +1, per Stike if I understood it correctly, once the fire starts, put everything in the egg, put on the daisy wheel and partially close the lower vent. As it heat past 200-225, set the daisy to 1/2 open and maybe 1/2" for the lower vent, leave it alone for 15 minutes and see where it sits, if good, throw on the meat. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Why not throw the meat on as soon as you get good smoke?
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

You do not need to put water in your drip pan...that is why you bought a BGE, because it helps the meat maintain moisture without that & without putting your chips chunks in water....

BTW...try cooking your butts at 350 until meat reaches internal of 160 then wrap each butt in HDAF and put back on at 350 until it is 190-200...save the juice for when you pull the butts...you are done in 5 hours or less...way less stress....and just as deeelicious...