Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Question on low and slow

PhiliciousPhilicious Posts: 304
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have done more than a few low and slow over night cooks - nothing like most of you - and have had good but inconsistent results as far as maintaining a steady temp. I do not have a digi q, etc. Anyway, I am about to do another 3 butts on my large and am reviewing the Elder Ward method of building and starting the fire. Others have recently posted questions about their similar issues, especially a drop in temp when the plate setter, drip pan with water, and meat are added. My question is, has/does anyone preheat the plate setter or pan of water? It seems like This could be done in the oven at even 150 degrees or so. Any comments?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Not worth pre heating.  Just put it in the egg and let the entire egg with setter warm up.   I usually take an hour to let temp stabilize before putting meat in.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,874
    edited October 2012
    Not worth pre heating.  Just put it in the egg and let the entire egg with setter warm up.   I usually take an hour to let temp stabilize before putting meat in.
    +1, per Stike if I understood it correctly, once the fire starts, put everything in the egg, put on the daisy wheel and partially close the lower vent. As it heat past 200-225, set the daisy to 1/2 open and maybe 1/2" for the lower vent, leave it alone for 15 minutes and see where it sits, if good, throw on the meat. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 768
    Why not throw the meat on as soon as you get good smoke?
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,090

You do not need to put water in your drip pan...that is why you bought a BGE, because it helps the meat maintain moisture without that & without putting your chips chunks in water....

BTW...try cooking your butts at 350 until meat reaches internal of 160 then wrap each butt in HDAF and put back on at 350 until it is 190-200...save the juice for when you pull the butts...you are done in 5 hours or less...way less stress....and just as deeelicious...