Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

does anyone have a good recipe for alabama white sauce????

ashevilleeggashevilleegg Posts: 27
edited October 2012 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades

we have a moe's bbq in asheville that has a fantastic white sauce but i can't seem to duplicate it for the life of me.  i think the ingredients are: mayo, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, bbq rub, sugar, hot sauce, & worcestershire.  i'll take any help i can get..

thanks in advance

·

Comments

• NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Have you already tried the two variations of Big Bob Gibson's recipe (Peace, Love, and BBQ and the one from Chris Lilly's book)?   You could try tweaking one of them with the hot sauce. 
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,144
    edited October 2012
    Here's one we like, not sure where it came from.
    3/4 cup mayo
    2 Tbs cider vinegar (Apple high acid if you can get it)
    1 Tbs lemon juice (the fresh stuff)
    1 Tbs fine chopped tarragon
    1 tsp coarse fresh ground black pepper
    about 1/4 tsp kosher salt or to taste
    about 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
    about 1/2 tsp of "what's this here sauce" to taste. 

Mix it up let it sit in the fridge for at least a couple of days.

Have had this since our Weber days, first thing we used with Hickory smoked chicken. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • thanks to all, i'll be trying again this evening when i cook a few chicken breasts.  I'll keep you posted & thanks again.
    ·
  • finally nailed the spatchcock chicken & combined a few recipes on the alabama white sauce.  the sauce is much better on chicken than by itself.  thanks for the help.
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    its awesome on veggies too.  we used it with left over spatchcock that we shredded threw on greens and had drizzled the white sauce over like salad dressing.  also was great on sliced cucumbers like a cucumber salad. 
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,144
    finally nailed the spatchcock chicken & combined a few recipes on the alabama white sauce.  the sauce is much better on chicken than by itself.  thanks for the help.
    OK - what did you use? My grandkids like using the white sauce as a dip for veggies and on cold chicken sammies. Always looking for another twist on a sauce. 

Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • jbates67jbates67 Posts: 160
    I don't over do my white BBQ sauce. Very basic but gets thumbs up all the time

1 cup mayo
    1/2 cup clear vinegar (you can use apple cider vinegar too)
    1 t fresh cracked pepper

Whisk around until you get it blended, you can add a little more vinegar if it's too thick. It's simple but tasty.
    ·
  • Hashmaker said:
    This looks like a good recipe. I use a similar one all the time.

Note: white BBQ sauce must have horseradish.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,898
    Hashmaker said:
    Any sauce with horseradish in it, in my book, can be a winner.

·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    edited October 2012
    Before I read the previous posts, I will tell you the recipe. It is very simple. Mayonnaise, a small amount of vinegar to thin it a little, lots of black pepper, and a little salt to taste. That's it. It's not rocket science.

Tim

PS - Blue Plate mayo is the best.
    ·