Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fig Wood?

Options
Zip
Zip Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a little direction or imformation on fig wood if you have used it before. I haven't used it and no one in the family has used it. A buddy has a tree that he said has to go and is too big for digging up. What a shame....[p]Z

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Zip, if fig is considered a fruit,,why not..Try it on pork as Mr. Toads famous loin is loaded with Fig preserves.
    C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    When you cut a branch (a small one) off of a fig tree, there is a lot of white, sticky sap that extrudes. On that basis, I would shy away from fig. And, I don't think it is considered a "Hard" wood. However, I am quite willing to learn otherwise .....Until then, I wouldn't want to waste meat learning the hard way.[p]Pete[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Sespe Pete, since I have never slain a fig tree (George Washington might have) I am in the dark...but if dried?? And if its real sappy it might be abundant in tanic acid..Yeh..I agree..smoke a hamburger first and taste test.
    Cheers...and thanks..
    C~W[p]

• Zip
    Options
    Sespe Pete,[p]That white, sticky sap was my main concern and reason asking before using. I did find a little information about fig wood. Historically it has been used for cooking, but as to what it taste like my AG agent couldn't say. He also advised that the sap can very irritating to human skin, but not poisonous. This was strike one against the use in smoking.[p]The final blow was going over to survey the tree for possible moving. It seems the reason for wanting the tree out of the way is that the roots have taken over the septic/drain field. When he told me this, I thought about how many gallons of figs I have canned and dried off this tree. I really got sickened. When I got home last night, all the fig preserves in the pantry were dumped from the mason jars.[p]I don't like figs anymore, at least for a while. [p]Z
  • Unknown
    Options
    Zip,
    Never did like figs. Used to have a tree when I was a kid. Yuck! Mom has one now. Still Yuck![p]However, that being said, the tree over the septic tank shouldn't make for bad figs. Fertilizer is fertilizer and you don't eat it, you let it nourish the plant. Chicken manure is used in great quantities to grow produce out here in CA. You've been eating manure nourished produce for years -- Yummm!![p]Pete

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Zip, I cannot stop roaring and that hurts on a full stomach of prime rump roast fresh and fall apart tender off the BGE. oooooooooh! I would have loved to have some of those fig preserves..So would Mr. Toad...!!

• Zip
    Options
    Sespe Pete,[p]Well I'll tell you how I look at it. The "study" was always placed a pretty good distance from the fruit trees at my aunt's house. Until 1977, they only had one sink in the house and that was the only running water. When I asked why it wasn't put close to the house, I was told it need to be downhill from the fruit trees and that was just to be safe. [p]
    I am aware of the what Milorganite is. Milorganite when first intoduced, it was not advised for edible crops. Now it has been reformulated and is suppose to be safe for edible crops. I still don't use it. The extension agent advised there could be only a very slight heavy metal concern, but I'm still not interested in it.[p]I can agree with the use of animal products. I have scattered more than my fare share of in the garden.[p]Z[p]

• Zip
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Sorry bud, they have already been hauled away to the dump. I'll be happy to send you some when I find another supply. My poor little old trees just don't produce enough at a time. It is just a pain in the butt to put up two or three pints at a time. All is not lost though, it looks like i have a good supply of pears this year. Pear preserves![p]Z[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Zip, yah..thats why they be scarce maybe..OK...I did find a web source for it..high priced little buggers.
    Cheers..C~W