Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Hour Patriotic Cookoff

Z_Eggineer
Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Fellow Eggheads,

At my work we are having a Veteran's Day cookoff.  What do you think I should make for it?  Requirements below:

1. Must be cooked at site

2. Must be a meat main dish (no sides)

3. Must be finished in 2 hour time window

4. Extra points could possibly be given for patriotic theming

Any input welcome and appreciated!  And eggessories are not an issue!!

Comments

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Pork loin
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    Traditional brined and smoked turkey with a Pilgrams hat filled with oyster stuffing and a cornucopia of Atomic (we invented the bomb) Buffalo (very American) Turds (we have those too).
    Yankee pot roast?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• What is Yankee Pot Roast?  Are there any veterans on the forum today?  What do you like?
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

can you clarify the timeframe?  2 hours to fire up the egg/cook and serve, or two hours at the egging cooking and serving?

And why are there 3 comments and 2 from Canadians so far?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

sorry my ideas - pulled pork pizza, or even weirder - cheeseburger pizza (very American),

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
      You might want to use a more tender cut than chuck, maybe bottom sirloin to get it done in two hours

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Coat the roast with the seasoned flour, tapping off any excess. Reserve the remaining dredging flour.
      In a Dutch oven or flame-proof casserole, heat the bacon drippings and the oil over medium heat. Add the roast and brown evenly, turning to color all sides, about 30 minutes. Add more oil, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
      Add the beef broth, water, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, turning the roast occasionally.
      Add the potatoes, turnips, and carrots, and simmer, covered, until the meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 to 40 minutes longer.
      Remove the meat and vegetables from the Dutch oven; place on a large platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Discard the bay leaf.
      Slowly whisk 1 cup of the pot roast liquid into the reserved dredging flour. Place the Dutch oven over medium-high heat and whisk in the flour mixture. Bring the gravy to a boil and boil until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in parsley.
      Slice the pot roast and serve with the vegetables and gravy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You're gonna think I'm crazy, but my Dad served and it IS Veteran's Day.  He loved when my Mom made S.O.S.  It doesn't have to taste like sh...er, crap.  She got it to taste pretty good.  Anyway, it's an off-the-wall suggestion.

I don't have the recipe at the readly like LS.  I gotta find it if you're interested.  Prolly why I'm interested in the recipe software thread. 

Flint, Michigan
    • Little Steven
      Little Steven Posts: 28,817
      My Dad was a Korean war vet. They called it chipped beef on toast. They hated it all the same

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
      nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
      The Brits call it BCOS. Bloody Crap on a Shake.  Actually, I just made that up.  Might be better bloody rare though.
      We were brits then man.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I remember Mom making it one time and my buddy comes over who frequently angled for a dinner invite.

"That smells good.  Whatcha makin'?"

Mom replies, "Creamed chip beef on toast."

"Huh?" says he.

I decided to be helpful. "Sh!t on a shingle."

That night the appetizer was Dial soap.

Flint, Michigan
    • Mickey
      Mickey Posts: 19,669
      SOS around an Army post. I was an Army brat, grew up with it. To your cook. You can do a 11/12lb spatchcocked turkey in app 90 min.
      Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.