Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE BBQ GURU

Steel_Rain
Steel_Rain Posts: 18
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just bought one and will try it low and slow with a butt next weekend.  Anybody ahve any words of wisdom to offer?  Do's and Dont's?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    13 series?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    DigiQ DX2? Set the daisy wheel as you would without the controller. It's an easy setup and damn nice. I did a 17 hour butt yesterday and the controller slowed me to go do things with the family while the cook was underway. I'm glad I got one an I'm sure you will feel the same.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • For low and slow, i startbthe fire with an electric starter for ~8-9 minutes. Then I leave the lid open for a couple of minutes while I attach the DigiQ. I leave the vent slot on the digiq wide open and close the daisy wheel to a narrow slit until the tempgets near the target. Then I close down the digiq vent to the smallest setting on the slider. With the platesetter inside, it can take awhile, at least 30 minutes) to equilibrate but the temperature does not over shoot. I've got everything set up right now for a midnight pork butt and I will do it his way.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Don't lose any sleep, It will do it's job. Make sure you read about the ramp mode and have it off, or on, depending on your intentions.
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    I got one, love it. Like  Jerold said you got to get ahead of the fire. "Ramp on" takes longer and I  rarely use it.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    The Ramp On feature is to start cutting down the temp of the BGE when the food is getting close to the finishing temp that has been programmed.  

Since the BGE retains the heat so well, I have found this function to be basically useless.
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I agree with Duganboy about the ramping feature.  I have a party Q and it does not have the ramping feature and so far no need.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • The Ramp feature is really intended to be used when you aren't going to be there when the meat is done. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    If you are using in on an XL you will need to make sure you put the damper at about 1/4th open and the daisy wheel almost closed to hold at 200 to 240.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Thanks for the comments, all are helpful and well appreciated!!!!!!!!!!