Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mediterranean Cheese Focaccia Bread

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Crap....I almost forgot about this cook. I typed it up a few days ago and scheduled it to go live on my site today. Whenever I do that, I also like to post it here as well (or a brief synopsis) so y'all can see it to.

Last week, while shopping at Sam's, one of the guys handing out samples was handing out focaccia bread. There were four or five flavors and while they were ok, I though they would make a great, last minute pizza cook alternative or an appetizer.image

I decided to go with the Mediterranean Cheese flavor and added some mozzarella, feta cheese and olives to keep with the Mediterrean theme.image

Set up the Mini Egg at 450 and put a pizza stone on the Woo Ring.

Was thinking that it would take 8 minutes (like the first pizzas I did). Boy was I wrong. Whoopsimage

Second attempt, this time I only let it for for 3 minutes and the results were much better.

Came out pretty good. Glad Mrs. G was out for drinks with the girls so she didn't see the goof up. Perfect for one of those lazy nights or when you are running late and don't have time/want to mess with making dough or rolling out dough.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2012
    Great tip Griff! I like the Mediterranean theme.  I would eat the "extra crispy" piece without a second thought ;)

I have used naan for pizza dough and it is also pretty good.  It is even shaped like when I make the dough myself. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Grif
    You're liking that mini aren't ya?
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @GLW - Ummmm....just a little bit. How coulda ya tell? :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited October 2012
    I make focaccia often but have never made it on the egg.  I can't really say why it burned but generally you would not put focaccia in as hot of an oven as pizza.  The way I make it is to heat the oven to 500ºF and then put the focaccia in the oven and turn the oven down 25º or so.

Gerhard

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    that looks perfect!
    Looks great Gerhard! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @gerhardk said "I make focaccia often but have never made it on the egg.  I can't really say why it burned but generally you would not put focaccia in as hot of an oven as pizza.  The way I make it is to heat the oven to 500ºF and then put the focaccia in the oven and turn the oven down 25º or so."  and I would add you probably wouldn't put the bread in the oven onto a pre-heated 450F stone. 
    Your bread looks great - good job. We tend to leave ours round, just the way it falls out of the oiled rising bowl. into the 400-425 oven in a PC pan.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!