Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

live lobster

chuckwagon
chuckwagon Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried live lobsters on the egg. can you cook them whole or do you have to pull the insides out after killing them? sounds a bit cruel don't you think? sacrafices we make for good egging!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    chuckwagon,
    Yes, and it doesn't get better. [p]Thrill of the Grill book has a nice section on cooking them. You basically hold the lobster down and plunge a knife just below the eyes. He/she will twitch a bit...but soon it will all be over. Pull off the claws, as they cook best over lower heat. Split the lobster down the front middle and lay it open. Grill at high temps flesh down on the grill for a few minutes...no more. Done when meat is opague. The tail will pull right out of the body after cooking. Salt, pepper and butter...maybe a bit of lemon/garlic butter....heaven.[p]The Kamado site has a recipe by our ceramic buddy Houndog called Dwell in the Shell. It is for lobster tails, and uses a similar principal of high temps, but dwell a bit to finish it up. Lemme know if you can't find it, and I will dig it up.[p]We would eat them a lot more if they weren't so expensive!![p]Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    chuckwagon, don't know if this is exactly the recipe that NB was refering to, but the link wil take you to a post that Houndog made on SongDog's forum.[p]

[ul][li]Dwell in the Shell [/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Do you at least put a blindfold over the eyes before you "plunge a knife just below the eyes"....This is a "G" rated forum NB, keep these posts up and we'll have to institute a rating system for the posts. G, PG, R, and if we need an X I think that we'll have redefined the term "forum" around here. hehehe[p]Those lobsters sound awesome. I'm with you, if they were cheaper I'd eat a ton of them. Surf and Turf on the egg, I could eat that meal 24/7.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gfw,
    Yep...that's it!! If you are doing tails, that is THE recipe to use. I gah-roan-teeee!
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • chuckwagon
    chuckwagon Posts: 14
    sprinter,
    I found them cheap last weekend. 8LB. culls for 3.99/LB.They weren't egged , but very tasty boiled. a hammer and vicegrips were a help.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Nature Boy,[p]Bobby Flay did exactly what you explained. While I have not tried this recipe, I saved it from a "Hot Off the Grill" episode. Actually it is up on the Food TV webpage. The butter recipe could be used for alot of stuff other than lobster.[p]The link is below.[p]Z

[ul][li]GRILLED LOBSTER SMOTHERED IN BASIL BUTTER[/ul]
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    chuckwagon,[p]We have grilled tails on the egg for just a few minutes, flesh side down.[p]I like to do live lobsters in a seafood boil. We boil potatoes in som Zatarins (sp?) long with fresh corn, throw in a lobster, add some shrimp and clams near the end. MMMMmmmm, good.[p]Fritz