Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stir Fry on Mini (tons of pics)

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Last week, I was contacted by ShedFarm, aka Barbara Jo, from the other forum. She sold her Mini egg and had a wok for it sitting around that she couldn't use. She asked if I wanted it. I always feel quilty when people offer stuff to me for free, but what could I say? Thanks Barbara Jo, you rock!

imageGave it a light scrub down, rubbed it lightly with peanut oil and then threw it on the large Egg at 425-450 for about 20 minutes. Then let it cool off and fried up some green onions on the stove to get rid of any metallic taste that might be lingering.

At this point, I had a choice to make...should I just stir fry on the large since it was already hot, or use the mini? Tough choice, huh? Until I realized the large was almost out of lump. Mini it is!
Some veggies

Mise en place

Hard to believe that the wok wasn't made just for the Mini Egg, isn't it?

Shrimp in

Veggies in

Noodles and shrimp back in

Done

Plated up along with some eggrolls

For a first time, I think it went pretty well. I think I had my temps a bit low (can't remember now if I had it at 450 or 500, bourbon clouds the memory). I didn't dry the shrimp real well after I washed them so some water went in and cooled it down, that was just a dumb mistake on my part. I was also rushing it and didn't let it heat up enough between the shrimp and veggies, but once again, that was my fault. But all in all, it came out pretty good and it was fun to use the mini egg and the new wok. One nice thing was not having to wear welding gloves to get it done. That handle works out pretty nicely. Can't wait to play around with it some more.

Barbara Jo, you are wonderful. A prime example of what makes the Egghead community so awesome. Thanks for the wok. It's gonna get a lot of use.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Looks great!  Please tell me about the sauce.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Griffin

The sauce was kinda made on the fly. I added a teaspoon or so of Szechuan Spicy Stir Fry Sauce by House of Tsang, about the same of hoisin sauce and the same of chili garlic sauce while the veggies were going.  Took a veggie out for quality control purposes and adjusted it a bit. Forgot to bring out some soy sauce, which it really needed, but we added that after it went on the plate.

I am by far not an expert compared to some of the guys around here when it comes to stir frying. The stuff they come up with would probably blow my mind. This was just a simple cook as I really hadn't planned anything for dinner and just pulled stuff out of the fridge/freezer/pantry at the last moment.

Rowlett, Texas

• GLW
    Thanks Griffen.  This is my next frontier....stir fry
  • Griffin
    Once you start playing around with it, you'll never order Chinese food again.

Rowlett, Texas

• GLW
    That's the goal!
  • Yummy! I want to get a Wok.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice job. Looks good!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • where can we find the wok it looks like it was made for the mini great setup
  • Griffin

I think, and I maybe wrong, that it came from The Wok Shop. @Mickey can tell you more about them. I know they will season it for you, if you ask. Not sure what that runs. I think this is the one.

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/woks_mini_5pc.html

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    uncleben said:
    where can we find the wok it looks like it was made for the mini great setup
    Call Mrs Chan at the Wok Shop and tell her you have a Mini BGE. She will fix you up. I did not get the kit, just the 10" and ladle. As I recall if you ask she will season your wok for $5. She is a very nice lady and please say hello for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    It did come from the wok shop (yes, I'm over here, too, making me bi-forum).

If you click on the link that Griffin provided, then click on the link at the bottom of the page (order from Yahoo! store), you'll see there's multiple options for ordering (wok only, wok + lid, wok + set), so you can get only what you need.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Griffin
    I didn't know you were bi-forum @ShedFarm. She also sent me the lid that goes along with it. Ummm...what do I do with the lid? Steam things?

Rowlett, Texas

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! I need to dig my wok out and get it back on the egg..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited October 2012
    The lid is usually used for dry roasting things, such as nuts and seeds.

You can also use it for steaming, if you have a bamboo steamer "shelf" to hold the food above the boiling water.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Griffin, does the wok just sit on the fire ring?
  • Griffin
    @odie91 the handle has alittle curve that fits right on the edge of the mini.

Rowlett, Texas

• Guys....they offer a dome lid or a lid with a wooden handle.  The one with the wooden handle looks like it would provide more height.  Do you have any recommendations of which lid to buy?
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited October 2012
    That looks great Griffin! Love all the colors. 

I'd like to get into Wok cooking too. How did you pick it up? Any recommendations for a good cookbook(s) or website(s) to learn from? TIA.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    edited October 2012
    that looks great!  Did you keep the egg open as you cooked?   If not, how often did you open the egg to stir the food in the wok?  
  • Looks amazing!!

Two questions:

1. Griffin, what type of noodles did you use, and how did you prepare them?

2. Do they have a similar set up like that wok for a LBGE or would have need to get the spider and the setup from the ceramic grill store?
  • jfm0830 said:
    That looks great Griffin! Love all the colors. 

I'd like to get into Wok cooking too. How did you pick it up? Any recommendations for a good cookbook(s) or website(s) to learn from? TIA.

Jim,

Jim,
    You've got a large  BGE so I'd get a 16" carbon steel wok, round bottom, with D handles.  Also a spider from CGS for it to sit on.  Call Trane Chan from the Wok Shop for the wok.  Buy the books "Breath of a Wok" and "Stir Fry to the Sky's Edge" by Grace Young.  She is the undisputed expert.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• VI,

Is this the wok you are referring to from the Wok store?

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-wood-handles.html

Would you then suggest the spider and the accessory kit from the CGS?

Out of the two books you suggested, which one would be the best to start out with?

Thanks.
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    I want a mini now.....and I want that wok for it. Looks great.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

After my Adventure to Elliots yesterday if they would of had a Mini I might have brought one home. Instead I got some Dizzy.

I think I do need a Mini though.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• VI, Is this the wok you are referring to from the Wok store? http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-wood-handles.html Would you then suggest the spider and the accessory kit from the CGS? Out of the two books you suggested, which one would be the best to start out with? Thanks.
    No, that has wood handles.  I got one with wood handles, and burned one out on the first cook.  The one I was talking about was this one  .  Note, you can specify round bottom.  Also, get a chuan (spatula) and a wok ring.  The ring is great for cooling off your wok after pulling it off the fire.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Nice! Need to get a mii or small. And a wok.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Bravo!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    ...Jim,
    You've got a large  BGE so I'd get a 16" carbon steel wok, round bottom, with D handles.  Also a spider from CGS for it to sit on.  Call Trane Chan from the Wok Shop for the wok.  Buy the books "Breath of a Wok" and "Stir Fry to the Sky's Edge" by Grace Young.  She is the undisputed expert.
    Thanks Griffin for the inspiration to start doing this-your colorful pictures. Thank you Village Idiot for the help. I have the two books and the spider has been ordered. My plan is to read up a little bit in the two books about selecting woks and then I will give the Wok Shop a call. Really looking forward to getting into this method of cooking.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin

Wow...lots of questions on a Monday morning. I'll try and answer all of them.

@rustypotts - ShedFarm sent me the wok and the dome lid with the wooden knob on it for a handle. Don't know how well it works, or what advantage it has over the other one as I have not used it yet. Actually never used a lid while woking before.

@jfm0830 - wasn't hard to pick up with that wooden handle, but I did have my welding gloves standing by that I use with the wok on my large. Everything I learned, I learned here or on the forum about wokking.

@mb99zz - Pretty much kept the egg open the whole time. I got it stablilized at 450 and then put the wok in and shut the bottom vent . It will get plenty of air with it the dome open.

@brewcityegger - I need to get the pic off my camera of the noodles, but its at home. Can't remember exactly what they were, but they said stir fry noodles. Found them on the Aisan aisle of our grocery store. Boiled them for 3 minutes, drained and set aside, then just tossed them in to warm up at the end. Not sure if they have a similar set up for the large. I have the spider for my large and a 16" wok from ceramic grill store.

@TUTTLE871 - Elliot's in Plano? Weird. They always have mini's when I visit (which isn't that much, I 'spose)

Rowlett, Texas