Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Pork Loin

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited October 2012 in Pork
OK, so I said I'd post some pics, and here 'tis... this weekend I did some stuffed pork loin.  

Nothin' too fancy (no meat glue holding it together - had to use toothpicks).  Anyway, decided to cut the loin into 3 (unequally sized) parts, and figured I'd try 3 different rubs (we enjoy "Egg-sperimenting" w/ different rubs - makes ya think yer gettin more food that way) heheh... 

Anyway, here's the details:

Dome Temp = 375
Meat Internal Temp = 140
Method = Indirect
Rub #1 (large) = KC Butt Spice
Rub #2 (Med) = Cumin
Rub #3 (small) = Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust
Stuffing = garlic sauteed spinach & mushrooms & grated pepper jack cheese
Smoke = 2 Cherry Chunks
Meat Size = ~6#

Once internal hit 140, I pulled them & wrapped them in aluminum foil for about 10-15 minutes, to allow them to "rest." 

The consensus was that we liked all 3 rubs - the KC Butt rub actually produced sort of a "bark", if-you-will, on the pork loin, and the Dizzy Dust was... well... as good as any Dizzy Pig stuff...

I've recently become a big fan of cumin after trying this "cumin lamb" dish at a Chinese restaurant, and figured I'd do cumin on the Egg - it turned out good, but I think next time I'll try making some sort of "liquid-y" thing to mix the cumin in, rather than just using it as a "rub" cuz it seemed like it sort of dried out on the pork.. - what do ya'll think - any good cumin recipes??

Anyway, pics to follow... 

ENJOY!!!!~!!!!!!
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited October 2012
    Options

ooooooh, I almost forgot - my GF fixed some sauteed squash as a side... she sauteed the squash in olive oil with garlic, then added "Slap Ya Mama" spice, then some cheese... 

The "Slap Ya Mama" provided some "kick" but not TOO much... it turned out REAAAAAALLLY goooooood!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Had me at the pepper jack, like bacon it makes the meal. Great cook, like the idea of saute treatment for squash, don't know why but have never done that, always a roasted or boiled thing. Anything special in the pan?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good, HH.  I was at the grocery store (they call that "making groceries" around here), and noticed "Punch Ya Daddy" seasoning right next to "Slap Ya Momma". 

We're hooked on Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning for general mindless seasoning (when we're basically adding salt and a little extra "je ne sais quoi".  Good stuff.
    Options
    That looks great HH!  I like how you got a nice "jellyroll" effect.  Do you just cut the loins in half lengthwise and then flatten with a mallet? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Goodlooking grub, HH.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Had me at the pepper jack, like bacon it makes the meal. Great cook, like the idea of saute treatment for squash, don't know why but have never done that, always a roasted or boiled thing. Anything special in the pan?
    nothing special - just olive oil w/ crushed garlic.

Looks good, HH.  I was at the grocery store (they call that "making groceries" around here), and noticed "Punch Ya Daddy" seasoning right next to "Slap Ya Momma". 

We're hooked on Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning for general mindless seasoning (when we're basically adding salt and a little extra "je ne sais quoi".  Good stuff.
    Yes, we first had "Slap Ya Momma" in N'awlins, and we brought some home back w/ us.  We've since been ordering it online.  Good stuff.  Never tried "Punch ya daddy"...

That looks great HH!  I like how you got a nice "jellyroll" effect.  Do you just cut the loins in half lengthwise and then flatten with a mallet? 
    Yes, I butterflied them then used a meat tenderizing mallet to help flatten them, then added the stuffing, then rolled, then placed toothpicks to keep them together.  I'm seriously thinking about getting some "meat glue" cuz I can think of ALL kindza fun stuff to use that with!!

Griffin said:
    Goodlooking grub, HH.
    Thank you!!
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Options
    This is awesome!!  Thanks for sharing.
    When in doubt add more pepper.