Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burp

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picture of me...first pizza...forgot to burp. Oh well...it'll grow back.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Wilma says I'm looking more like that naturally every day except I have eyebrows & arm hair.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I had my first flashback doing pizza also. I may have been fortunate to have the platesetter in or else I'd look like Mr. Bigglesworth too.

Funny thing is I had read plenty of times about flashback, the conditions that create it, and prevention measures. I had to lose all the hair on my forearms in order to actually absorb the info! 

Some things have just gotta be learned the hard way...
  • henapple
    Me too...I knew better. I'll blame alcohol.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I saw videos of flashbacks online and didn't think I'd have the intestinal fortitude to hold onto the lid if it happened to me. When it did happen it was like my mind went into slow motion. I began to wonder if I let go of the lid would just the top lid break, the bottom lid or both? I also wondered about the replacement costs. With those thoughts in my mind I held onto the lid and felt the fire brush up past my face. I did keep my eyebrow hair....Lost it on my left arm (left handed) and a week later on my right arm. Boy do I feel stupid. Oh and alcohol does seem to be a common denominator.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • To paraphrase:

"The cause of -- and solution to -- all of life's problems"

- Homer Simpson
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Yoda, is that you?
    LBGE
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    The only real hazard, other than dropping the dome in panic, is your face and eyes.  Turn your head.

Here's one that I have not seen mentioned.  If you do extremely moist cooks, watch out for steam.  I have burned my hands far worse with steam than I have with flashback.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Only had a flashback (with any significant depilation) once.  Right afterwards, I thought, "damn, I need another beer".  Went in the house and SWMBO said - something smells funny like bacon - what are you cooking out there?  Showed her my arm.
    Ouch!  When I am cooking at high temps I leave my welders glove stuck in the egg handle as a reminder ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    That's me....first pizza.
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2012

henapple said:
    Ah, the infamous Mr. Bigglesworth/post-flashback picture.....this here (down below) is directly after the flashback....

I'm obviously a newbie here, but I experienced my first a couple of weeks ago while searing my first steak. Singed nose hairs = Incessant smell for DAYS!
    Felt kind of like an Egghead right of passage!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    if you have hair on your knuckles or are you are not eggin enough! the first time i ever had flashback, i was working as a dj in a nghtclub. and had taken a shower, and decided to let the steak rest while i got dressed. so here i am on the back porch with only boxers on. needless to say it took awhile before the chest hair came back. never have fully grown the arm hair back. i have a pair of windbreaker pants that have a burnt place where the bottom vent is :D . so watch out for bottom flash out!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• nolaegghead
    And lesson learned, for that reason, never egg in the nude.  (wear at least an apron)

nolaegghead said (wear at least an apron)

yea that was 10 years ago now anytime i am above 500 i have a shirt on :))

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• How great is the egg? Not only does it provide delicious meals but it can also get rid of that unwanted hair while you cook.
    "Oh BGE......is there anything you can't do? "
  • nolaegghead
    Also gets rid of unwanted (and wanted) wooden structures.   Swiss Army knife of cookers.

henapple said:
    Ah, the infamous Mr. Bigglesworth/post-flashback picture.....this here (down below) is directly after the flashback....

How I wish, how I wish you were here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead

henapple said:

How I wish, how I wish you were here
    We're just two lost souls, in a fish bowl, year after year....
    Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Hot ashes for trees? (hell yeah lump does that)

Hot air for a cool breeze (forum)

Steve 

Caledon, ON