Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Even heat/ignition

Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 534
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey Eggheads, looking for a little starting advice. Every time I grill, I try to ,are sure I'm working with a full fire box. I'm using the BGE electric starter and am finding it difficult to get even heat in my LBGE. Most of the high direct heat is concentrated in the centre. This makes if difficult for grill a few steaks or a dozen burgers or sausages. I've tried to move the starter around, but before long it's flaming pretty good and I don't want to melt the handle on the starter. Any advice?
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
·

Comments

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Let the coals get good & hot with the electric starter. Then stir them around and let them get hot in other spots....or get a MAPP torch and light in several spots and be ready to go in half the time...
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,155
    What he said.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • HashmakerHashmaker Posts: 149
    I use three oil soaked paper towels for a high heat cook. 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock. Once the lump is going, I kind of spread them around the dial and to the center. May be a little overkill but I get up to temp pretty quick. For an overnight cook, I just use one paper towel in the center of the lump. I've learned here its better for your fire to burn from top to bottom on long low temp cooks.
    ·
  • brycosbrycos Posts: 137
    I've started using something like a high-Q grate and just light a few pieces of newspaper inside the ash bin.  It starts fast,easy, and evenly.
    ·