Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for starting the Egg - Bringing to temp.

Options
Aztec
Aztec Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in Using the Egg
I've been using the egg on a regular basis now for 2 months.  I love what it can do, and have read lots, and viewed many videos on tips and tricks from fellow eggheads.  One issue I continue to battle is starting the Egg.  From what I keep reading and seeing, is that it heats up and cools down quickly.  I'm not seeing that.

Here is my typical start:

Open Egg dome.
Open vent
Place Natural fire starter in center of lump
Let sit for 10 minutes or so.
Close dome and open full function metal top.
Wait 30 plus minutes for it to reach 350.....  Is this normal?  If not, what can I do in order to make the Egg's temperature regulate faster.  Don't get me started on how long it takes to reach 600.

Seals are good, Thermometer is calibrated.  I'm at a loss, and need some expert advice.

Comments

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Are your air holes in the fire box and fire ring clear of small pieces of lump? Make sure they are for proper air flow. I use the same process but once the dome is closed I set the bottom and top vents to approx positions for desired cook temps. I've never waited that long to hit 350. Check out the ceramic grill store online and look at the wiggle rod. I've cut and bent a heavier wire hanger into the L-shape and use it through the bottom vent to 'wiggle' the lump from below to allow for more air flow creating more fire. Good luck!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Aztec
    Aztec Posts: 2
    Options
    You sir, are a rock star!  I assumed 'self cleaning' meant the ash ended up under the grate.  I checked the bottom of the egg every start for ash build up but never found any.  Who knew?

I will open up the vents every couple of starts.  I had the egg to 500 in about 15 minutes today.  All because I gave the charcoal a good stir from above before starting it and made sure the air holes were free and clear.

Thanks again Gabriegger.
  • RGTERP
    RGTERP Posts: 10
    Options
    I am going to light up my grill for the first time tonight. Your comments have been most helpful. Thanks.
  • Jwillis
    Options
    You definitly need to clear the ashes from the last fire I have had better luck using two starter blocks. When I am in a big hurry I use a Chimney starter.
  • Stargaze
    Options
    Hey Aztec, what natural fire starter do you use?
  • Dathome
    Options
    What also works for me is to leave the lid open until you get a good set of coals, then close the lid and let the fire build to the appropriate temp.