Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hog Fish with Grilled Leaks- Oh Yeah!

LongboardRLongboardR Posts: 77
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I have commented before not to be a fish snob...but Hog Snapper is the deal and one of the tastiest fish out there and they are fun to shoot. Top of the list for us Gulf divers. So here is a quick pic from a recent dive. Got this with a 51" Rhino Gun in 30ish feet of water. For the cook I went direct. You can also see a piece of Mahi as I was not sure if my son was coming for dinner too and thats the last of the Hog Fish. I grilled up some Leaks that I marinated in Balsamic, EVOO, mustard, paprika and soy sauce. Served with rice pilaf and a home made (heavy with garlic) Ceaser Salad. The plate you see is actually a 20" serving platter. BTW- the leaks were great and all the flavors came together nicely! I have a great video of the spearfishing but its a huge file but will post and share too.imageimageimageimageimage
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,822
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • cspearce2cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Looks great.  Awesome dive and cook...thanks for sharing
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    That is too cool!! I'd love to try to shoot some fish someday.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,441
    edited October 2012
    Griffin said:
    That is too cool!! I'd love to try to shoot some fish someday.

Jason it will be double hard to do on the ranch my friend. I guess you could get someone to toss them in the air =))

(Jason, it was funny to me)

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    When you cook leeks whole like that do you get alot of dirt left in them?  I usually cut mine and rinse in a bowl of water and get a lot of dirt/sand coming out.  Just wondering if they had a gritty texture to them from any sand/dirt that would be stuck in them?
    ·
  • How was the fish seasoned?
    ·
  • I rinsed the leaked prior to marinade to get the grit out and I just cut off the roots as close as possible. The root end has a much sharper taste. I really liked the leaks and will do again with steaks. For the fish all I did was a little "shake the tree" and EVOO. I like to grill fish skin up first and then finish skin down (with a 90 degree turn once before flipping over). Most of the time I can take em off and leave the skin on the grate. Hogfish is pretty delicate and cooks quickly so stay on point.

·