Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porchetta - My take, thanks McNuttly. Pictures inside.

Options
BYS1981
BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

After reading McNuttly' thread about Porchetta (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1244539/#Comment_1244539) I was interested, and I started searching the internet for various recipes.  I concluded I would wing it and what I did was season with sea salt, pepper, sage, and parsley.  I cut several slits into my pork butt (4lbs) and put about 8 garlic cloves inside.  I then cooked the butt indirect at 400 degrees in a pot with the lid off, and then flipped and cooked for another hour.  The initial 2 hours the pot was uncovered, and the reaming portion of the cook I closed the lid.  After the 2 hours I added 2 cups of water, a carrot, half an onion, 2 thyme sprigs, 5 garlic cloves, and about a can of chicken broth.  I then cooked for about 3 more hours.  At 3 hours I checked temp and it was at approx 205, so I took the butt off.  Once the butt was off I took it out and strained the solids.  I let the broth sit for about 15 minutes in a fat separator and then combined the solids with the liquids in a blender and blended until smooth.  I then added about 2 table spoons of tomato paste and 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.  After all ingredients were combined I simmered the solution for about 15 minutes to get a gravy.  When I ate the pork I put it on a french roll with the gravy and melted a slice of provolone on top.  Next time I will add some celery, but I didn't have any on hand and was lazy haha! 

To top it off, my wife made homemade creamed spinach and I washed it down with a Racer 5 IPA (http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php) great beer, highly recommend it.  Racer 5 IPA is in my top 5 IPAs.

Overall, I really recommend this way of cooking a butt even if only to try a different way of cooking it, but personally I have a new go to way of cooking pork.  I like regular smoked pork, but this was a GREAT sandwich. 

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Very nice cook.  Did you cook covered or uncovered?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BYS1981
    Options
    Oh sorry, for the initial 2 hours I cooked covered and the remaining 3 hours I covered.  Let me add that to the original post!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited October 2012
    Options
    BYS1981 said:

for the initial 2 hours I cooked covered and the remaining 3 hours I covered.

So you cook covered the whole time :-?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'm cooking mine as I type. I used a slurry of oil, 1/2C sage, 1/2C rosemary, 12 garlic cloves, 1T red pepper flakes and 2T black pepper. I stuffed it into deep slits all over and then rubbed on top. It's on its second hour not covered. Smells great. Thanks, @McNultty. BTW: The sandwich place honored for porchetta puts the cheese on the bottom so the meat and juice melt it.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • BYS1981
    Options
    cazzy said:
    for the initial 2 hours I cooked covered and the remaining 3 hours I covered.
    So you cook covered the whole time :-?
    lolz.. sorry initial 2 hours UNcovered, remaining 3 hours COVERED. lol woops
  • McNuttly
    Options
    looks fantastic, glad to hear it came out well & was enjoyed
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks and sounds great!  You really went all out with the gravy.  I love IPA, but sadly I checked the web site and GA is "red" (don't ship here!).  This is on my ever-expanding to-cook list.

BTW...I think my favorite IPA is called Seeing Double from Foothills Brewery

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYS1981
    Options
    Man that looks and sounds great!  You really went all out with the gravy.  I love IPA, but sadly I checked the web site and GA is "red" (don't ship here!).  This is on my ever-expanding to-cook list.

BTW...I think my favorite IPA is called Seeing Double from Foothills Brewery
    Racer 5 is about 2 hours from my house and I just happened to get one of their beers few years ago, but man.. I really like Racer 5.  Pliny the Elder is available by me too, but not as readily - grocery stores carry Racer 5 here.  Russian River doesn't have the distribution that Racer 5 does, but if you can I recommend Pliny too (lol who doesn't recommend Pliny?!). 
  • BYS1981
    Options

jlsm said:
    I'm cooking mine as I type. I used a slurry of oil, 1/2C sage, 1/2C rosemary, 12 garlic cloves, 1T red pepper flakes and 2T black pepper. I stuffed it into deep slits all over and then rubbed on top. It's on its second hour not covered. Smells great. Thanks, @McNultty. BTW: The sandwich place honored for porchetta puts the cheese on the bottom so the meat and juice melt it.

How'd it turn out?  My wife really liked it, and next time I am going to do some peppers with it, maybe onions too.. a pulled pork cheesesteakish sandwich!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    It turned out absolutely fantastic. I'm thinking of serving it at an informal dinner party I'm having in a few weeks instead of sirloin. I left the pork in larger chunks instead of shredding it. The black and red peppers give it just the right bite. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia