Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strawberry Habanero pork loin

Hashmaker
Hashmaker Posts: 149
edited October 2012 in Pork
Took a small jar of strawberry preserves, 1/2 cup of honey and two chopped habaneros and put all of that in a sauce pot. Brought it to a simmer and put in the fridge overnight. I'm trying it on pork loin tonight and I'm gonna try it on some wings later in the week. I hope it won't be too hot!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Let us know...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • That sounds great.  Should not be too hot if you de-viened the habs.  The sugar should offset some of the heat.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    That sounds awesome!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That sounds great.  I'm a little skeerd of the habs...but I love mixing spicy things with jelly.  The sriracha/orange marmalade wings have been my go-to wing recipe for a while.

I waited tables at a wing joint in college.  3 guys come in, and and one guy explains he has a bet going on.  He is gonna pay the other two 50 bucks if they could polish off 50 "habenero hot" wings.  I told the cooks so they got together and got evil.  They pulled the seeds from a bunch of habs and boiled them and poured it in the sauce.  Poor guys literally had tears streaming down their face.  Needless to say the guy kept his 50 and I got a nice tip ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hashmaker
    edited October 2012

It turned out pretty good. Just enough heat to go with the good strawberry flavor. Decided to make sandwiches out of it. I toasted some buns, added some sharp provolone, peperoncinis and a little Duke's mayo. Next time I try this, I'll add more habanero.image

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Looks and sounds great. Looks like tenderloin from right here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    A serious skill for any cook, Egg or not, is to evaluate the ingredients and improvise for the best outcome.  This sounds and looks good.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Hashmaker
    Thank you for trying to make me feel better Doc! My photography skills ARE lacking but I feel like my egging skills are getting better. I'm just gonna keep on practicing both! The combination of sweet strawberry and spicy habanero did turn out good even though I may not have presented it well. :D
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Hey, Hashmaker, was just talking about your sauce with the spouse, and we both think you should try some dried peri-peri in the strawberry sauce next time.  That is our most go to good heat pepper.

Don't want to turn this into an ad, so PM if you want to know what I would suggest.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    For you Hashmaker.  Got a picture of the bush somewhere :-)

• Hashmaker
    Got a picture of the bush somewhere
    =))

My apologies. Couldn't help it.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Hashmaker said:
    Got a picture of the bush somewhere =)) My apologies. Couldn't help it.
    OK, I got in trouble for this awhile back.  That was not on purpose.