Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st experience with tri-tips....

Options
WVU-Egg
WVU-Egg Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just back from Costco where they had tri tip roasts and tri tip steaks ($5.99 lb) . Got tired of reading about how good they are so thought I would give them a try. Never mind that I have 8 lbs of fresh pulled pork in the fridge from Sunday and some brisket. I wasn't sure which one to get so I got the steaks which were cut about 1 1/2 inches thick and about 2 inches wide (max). Immediately got home and fired up the egg.[p]Did one steak in cow lick. One in char rub. One the TRex method. Still have 3 more for tomorrow.[p]Fired it up to 750 and seared them. One of them, the cow lick one was smaller and actually right at 135 when taken off of searing. So I ate that one immediately and am now a FAN of tri tip with Cow Lick. [p]The other two will go back on here in a few minutes at a lower temp. Took some pictures with the new Canon camera so hopefully I can post some pics.[p]Might have try to the tri tip roast next time.[p]

Comments

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    WVU_Egg,
    Sounds familiar. I just got my first tri-tip roast from Costco here in Kansas City. After marinading in fajita marinade grilled it yesterday. Tasted great but I overcooked it. I guarantee it won't be my last one though.
    I did see some tri-tip steaks and wondered how different they are. I posted my pics yesterday. Can't wait to see yours.

• WVU-Egg
    Options
    jake42,
    Yeah, I need to figure out this posting picture thing. Just need to read up on it.....[p]They came out great. Took no time to sear/grill the steaks since they are not that big. I've sampled all 3 now and the one with the cow lick rub was my favorite.[p]I will definitely head back to Costco for more. I would say it was one of the best steaks I've had. Definitely top 5.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    tritip002.jpg
    <p />WVU_Egg, These were called tri tip by the local butcher? Rolled deep into cow lick and seared. Second favorite behind rib eye.

• WVU-Egg
    Options
    Charbon,
    That is what mine looked like. I just hope the Costco closest to me starts carrying them. The Costco I found them at is a little further away and I just happened to be up there for a meeting so I stopped by. [p]I'm going to try the roast next time.