Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Permatex Copper AS a Gasket install.

Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, I went ahead with it. I ended up not removing the bands because I didn't want to deal with removing the nest shelves and it turned out not to be an issue at all...First I made a jig out of some cardboard. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I used that to push the material around working in small sections at a time...here are the final results. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Can't wait for it to cure so I can test it out.
·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,282
    I just did it a few weeks ago, your installation is so much neater than mine, congrats!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Can u buy the permatex at any auto supply store and one tube or whatever it comes in enough to do a large?
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yep...any auto parts store. I used two tubes on my large.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,282
    BBQBeerman, I used about a tube and a third.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Got some vacation time to take in two weeks I think I will give this a go what did u use to clean up the old gasket to make sure the permatex sticks
    ·
    A scraper, sandpaper, acetone and a rag...in that order. I've been gasket-less for a little while now so most everything was already burned off.
    ·
  • Last thing how long do u need to let the permatex dry before cooking?
    ·
    Package says to give it 24 hours to fully cure (at 70*...longer if colder out). I'm gonna do a spatchcock chicken tomorrow to test it out which will end up being around 30 hours from install.
    ·
  • Thanks for the help
    ·
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    Nice clean job, I do mine up in molds then apply them, the one on my large has been there for almost two years now.

·
    Bear 007 said:
    Nice clean job, I do mine up in molds then apply them, the one on my large has been there for almost two years now.

thanks...I was pretty anal about keeping it clean! I think I saw a thread you did showing using molds to make the gasket...brilliant idea, I don't have the equipment/tools for that.
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,345
    edited October 2012
    is that gasket food and hi temp safe?

You did a very nice job. Last pizza cooks both small and mini gaskets bit the dust.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
    High temp, yes. No too sure about food safe, but I was using a Rutland before so not really concerned...
    ·