Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

My take on meatloaf for tonight's dinner

jimreed777jimreed777 Posts: 268
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
My plan for my first meatloaf on the egg:

INGREDIENTS:
14 oz finely chopped leftover pulled pork
1 lb 90% lean ground beef
1 lb 73% ground chuck
1 cup skim milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup sonny's sweet BBQ sauce
1 cup finely diced vidalia onion
1 cup finely diced red/yellow/orange peppers
1 cup goldfish (ground into crumbs)
1/2 cup classic ketchup baked fries (ground into crumbs) 
1/2 tbsp ground pepper
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
4 tbsp light brown sugar

I hand mixed for a couple minutes, until completely blended.

I made two loaves hand shaped into rectangular bricks

Placed in fridge uncovered until I am ready to cook around 3:30

Here is my plan for the cook:

Stabilize egg at 250 dome

Before putting the meatloaf in the egg, I am gonna lightly coat with yellow mustard and sprinkle on rub.

I am going to use Oakridge Competition beef and pork.

I am going to cook the loaves for about 2 hours or until internal temp hits 165.

I may then brush on some BBQ sauce and put back in for 10 minutes; then, pull, rest for 10-15 minutes under foil, slice and serve.

=================================================================================

Notes: I went with what I had laying around. I was out of bread crumbs, so I used the goldfish and baked fries. I didn't want to use all 73% chuck and have it be too fatty, so I mixed in equal parts 90% lean beef. I just happened to have a half gallon of Sonny's BBQ, so I used that. I wanted to use up the peppers, so I put some of those in. I also pulled the temp for the cook outta thin air, so in summary, YMMV.

How does the cook portion sound so far?

Some pics of the process so far:

My choice for crumbs:

leftover pork finely chopped:

loaves on the sheet pan I plan on keeping them on there for the first hour and then flipping them right onto the rack with the pan underneath for drips:

Comments