Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Delights (Pictures)

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been posting pictures from the flurry of cooks I did with my new Big Green Egg. This round comes with a story. My friend and his wife come over to our house often for meals made on my gas grill or smoker. When he heard I'd gotten this new grill called the Big Green Egg he asked if he could come over and see my new grill. When he arrived he brought a tan "Egghead" baseball cap for me. This was more than I expected, but his next trick was totally unexpected. He asked me if I had a Dutch Oven for my BGE. I told him I could use one of my Le Cruset DO's. He said no did I have  a BGE Dutch Oven? He went back to his car and came back with the BGE Dutch Oven. I was floored. What follows are some of the items I made on my new BGE Dutch Oven. I will put links to the picture posts on my website for these items if anyone is interested in seeing or reading more. Oh and by the way, I've made a point of having my friend and his wife over to enjoy some of the things I've made on my new Dutch Oven.

Brunswick Style Stew-based on a recipe from BGE Cookbook (Barbecue Chicken Soup).
Picture Post Link: Brunswick Style Stew

The Buttermilk Biscuits were made on the Egg as well.

Macaroni & Cheese-based on a recipe from BGE Cookbook.
Picture Post Link: Macaroni & Cheese

The Buttermilk Biscuits were made on the Egg

Eggfest Chili-based on a recipe from BGE Cookbook
Picture Post Link: Eggfest Chili

BTW the Skillet Cornbread was made on the Egg too.

Barbecued Baked Beans - based on a recipe from BGE Cookbook
Picture Post Link: Barbecued Baked Beans

Belgian Beef Stew-based on a recipe from BGE Cookbook.
Picture Post Link: Belgian Beef Stew

BTW & FWIW I have had not one, but two flashbacks and both time it was doing these dishes in the Dutch Oven. The temperature wasn't particularly high but the same thing happened both times so I will share. Some steps of these cook have you adding lots of ingredients or stirring lots of ingredients. This means the lid was open for long periods of time. This meant lots of coals got ignited while this was happening. When I closed the lid for 15 or 30 minutes or so I had to shut the top cap and lower draft door way way down. This starved the fire of oxygen and I got flashbacks the next time I opened the lid even though the temps weren't real high. I burned the hair off my left arm one week and my right arm the next. I feel pretty stupid, but it WILL NOT EVER EVER happen again.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Awesome looking cooks!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • Thanks for posting. I've been badgering SWMBO to get a D.O. I might just email a link to this post instead!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I have been longing for chili lately.  Good post.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Wonderful pictures and even better story.  I don't have dinner guests bringing me great stuff like a DO.  If I'm lucky, they bring me good things to drink.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Mmm, chili with the green onions is going to have to happen soon..
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    You've been busy! Your pics make me want to open up my BGE Cookbook sometime.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • DANG IT BOY!  It's 7:15 in the am in Georgia.  I'm sure I smelled everything on thing on your post!
    GREAT STUFF!
  • We need to level the playing field.  Jim, from now on, you can only use a Kodak drug store Instamatic camera with Vasoline over the lens to take pictures.  

Nice job, as usual !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Jim- what an unbelievable series of DO cooks!  That was a really nice gift.  If you gave them a little of everything then I would say you have repaid the gesture!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    So you would recommend the BGE brand DO? That is my next purchase and was unsure with what brands I should look for
    Boom
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited October 2012
    So you would recommend the BGE brand DO? That is my next purchase and was unsure with what brands I should look for
    My answer may end up making me sound like I'm trying to be a politician by not answering the question. But bear with me. I owned two Le Cruset Dutch ovens and I absolutely love them. So as a result I really hadn't done any research on the outdoor cast-iron style Dutch oven In terms of what the best models are. As I explained above, this one just landed in my lap as a gift one day. 

I would say compared the to the porcelain enameled cast-iron Dutch ovens the cast-iron BGE Dutch oven is a bit harder to clean. It does have a pebbled finish which I'm sure helps things stick less than they would with a smooth finish. As this Dutch oven ages and cures even better, I'm sure will be easy enough to keep clean. The difference in ease of cleaning is slight, but the cast iron takes a minute or two longer to clean. The reason I'm glad I have the BGE Dutch oven, is I was worried about maintaining the appearance of the outside of the porcelain enamel cast-iron ovens. They will pick up smoke every time you use them on the egg. How easy the exterior finish was going to be to keep clean in a smokey environment was a potential worry. The BGE Dutch oven is going to develop a black finish on the exterior anyway so additional smoke is not going to spoil the appearance. 

Getting back to the original question, while I can't specifically compare the BGE Dutch oven to other cast-iron outdoor style Dutch ovens I can say this: It has been easy keep clean, it is quite heavy and seems to weigh as much as my other Dutch ovens, the wire handles make it easy to get on and off the grill, It seems to heat very evenly like a Dutch oven should and I've had zero problems with the finish. One comment I 've seen against the BGE Dutch oven is it doesn't have little feet like many outdoor Dutch ovens do. For me this has not been a problem. The recipes I've made have come straight out of the BGE Cookbook. About half of them have you installing the platesetter legs up, with the stainless steel grill grate on that. The other half had you place the DO right on the platesetter which is installed legs down. I've not noticed a difference between the two methods. 

So while I don't know if this was the best model I could've picked up, or picked up at that price point, I am very happy to have it and it has performed well for me. At this point I certainly would have no problem spending my money on it.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    @jfm0830 appreciate the response. I may do some more research but I want an outdoor style like the one offered by BGE. Thanks for info.
    Boom