Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pulled Pork - WOW!! from Diners, Drive-Ins, Dives

BigWaderBigWader Posts: 420
edited October 2012 in Pork

Decided yesterday to try and replicate a pulled pork I saw featured on Triple D.  Can't remember the name of the joint where it was on the menu but the owner/chef apparently won some comps and placed high at Memphis in May.  With the last minute decision I thought I'd try it this way since there was no overnight process - it was prepare and straight on the grill.  Here's how it goes...

The special touch seems to be injecting with Italian dressing - strained to remove the particulate and then incorporating the chunks into the rub.  The oil in the dressing is purported to increase the heat transfer internally and I guess the acid and salt work on the meat.

I used regular Italian and a bit of Chipotle Lime dressing I had to make sure I had enough. 

Mixed the chunks with mustard and put a coat on the whole pork.  Topped that with a homemade rub that has 50% turbinado sugar to make sure I'd get a good bark. 

With the egg stabilized at around 250 grate I put chips (apple, hickory) and put the pork on I let it go for a couple hours before going to bed.  Got up at 7:00 and found my temp dropped to 195 grate so I jiggled the firebox grate and the charcoal a bit and it came back up to 260 pretty quick.  Pulled it to rest at 190, wrapped tight in foil and into the cooler and pulled for dinner after a few hours. 

The result was the best pulled pork I've done.  Simply way more moist internally than any other I've done.  I see myself making it this way again for a crowd and get more feedback.

Large BGE

Comments